PH goes up the first 3 days after a reservoir change

WarBux79

For about 3 days after a res change my PH rises pretty constantly. If I dont adjust it down to about 5.2 it will be over 6.5 over night. I read that its good to allow your PH to raise and fall but whats the acceptable range here? My plants usually start to show signs of stress after I change my reservoir.

Is 5.2 or 5.3 too low to adjust my PH down too when I change the reservoir knowing that it will be back up to 6.0+ in 24 hours? Would it be better to bring it down to 5.5 and let it get up to 6.6 in 24 hours before lowering it back down to 5.5?

same thing happens to me, i just adjust it down to about 5.3-5.5 and let it go back up but ive never had it go above 6.4 and the plants drank more with the ph between 6.0-6.2, but its all up to what your plants like, let them tell you what they want..

For about 3 days after a res change my PH rises pretty constantly. If I dont adjust it down to about 5.2 it will be over 6.5 over night. I read that its good to allow your PH to raise and fall but whats the acceptable range here? My plants usually start to show signs of stress after I change my reservoir.

Is 5.2 or 5.3 too low to adjust my PH down too when I change the reservoir knowing that it will be back up to 6.0+ in 24 hours? Would it be better to bring it down to 5.5 and let it get up to 6.6 in 24 hours before lowering it back down to 5.5?

Do you have hard water? Usually that is the cause, when you have such a drastic up-sweep in PH. I would start at 5.5 and let it drift to 6.5.

If the plants are using water faster than the nutes, wouldn't that cause the ph to go up?

If the plants are eating correctly the PH naturally swings from say 5.8 to 6.4 in 24 hours. That is a good sign and means you have a happy equilibrium. Generally, if the plants stop eating and uptake only water, the PH will go down, because the nutrients are more concentrated(like there original state).

Tap water? Do you let it set for 12 hours in uncovered containers (to offgass chlorine and whatnot) before using? If yes, have you tried aerating it for a few hours before mixing? Do you mix in your nutrients before adjusting the pH? What type of nutrients do you use?

Hi guys,

Good news I think I figured it out. I am using Advanced Nutes grandmaster level. I use tap water which is 98 ppm. I do let it sit out in an aerated 50 gal drum for 8-12 hours before using. I would adjust my water before adding nutes (mistake) and I would adjust it down to like 5.3 because it would always be up over 6 the next morning (mistake)

I quit adjusting my waters PH before adding nutes and let the "PH perfect" system do all the work and my plants look like they are recovering. Now that I quit adjusting the PH prior to adding the nutes I havent had to adjust the PH at all. I think whatever AN uses as a PH buffer was over reacting to my changes.

Back
Top Bottom