Please help! Droopy & wilting leaves in CoCo overwatering is out the equation

Jasehcubano

420 Member
Hello guys. I know this has been asked a million times, but neither of the plants show the Problem i have... im pretty experienced and have had many many succesful grows... however in this coco grow, my northernlights is showing extremely droopy and wilting leaves. Im using biotabs as my nutrient line.. i thought maybe the roots arent getting enough oxygen, because i did not add vermiculate to the coco
20200611_124851.jpg

Shall we assume that you didn’t make a mistake with PH? Coco being 5.8 or less? Maybe mixed it up with the biobiz? Whatever it was it’s had quite a shock.

Thinking about it. How do you administer the nutes? Do you dissolve them first and then PH the water? Do you break up the tab and put it in the coco?

So i Popped the seed in a coco/light mix mix to Provide that little Bit of nutes that is in the lightmix and to hold moisture better. 75%coco 25%lightmix. The plant was perfectly fine before i transplanted... i transplanted after about 3 weeks. When i did, i filled a 7 Liter pot with pure coco, Made the hole to place the root ball in, and put one of the slow release fertilizers in there, before placing The plant in the NEW medium. The ph of the coco says to be 6.8. Which confused me because i am also aware of the fact that coco is basically a hydro medium, but i didnt care further because the Tabletts are to be used with tap water, since it regulates PH. Maybe i shouldve added perlite to the coco.... not Sure...

Attachments

• 20200611_152754.jpg
    20200611_152754.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 103
I've never seen a successful grow using dry slow release nutes in coco.
Coco is drain to waste hydroponics, not soil, and should be fed liquid nutes daily to run off.
You're mistaken if you think vermiculite adds oxygen to the roots......you're thinking of perlite........I add 30% to my coco.

Coco is drain to waste hydroponics, not soil, and should be fed liquid nutes daily to run off.
You're mistaken if you think vermiculite adds oxygen to the roots......you're thinking of perlite........I add 30% to my coco.
Yes i meant perlite.. well it is said to be for coco as well. Its not directly dry amendment nutes. It is a rock that disolves over time. After 4 weeks, i push a new rock into the Medium. I try to feed the soil. Not the plant. It doesnt look like any deficiency tho... its all green. But i guess that doesnt have to mean anything... And she was fine until i transplanted..But i guess i wouldve ran into deficiency problems later on.. I popped a new bean, because i dont Think it will pull through.

This. I have yet to see them successfully applied in coco. Gotta do a flood/drain with coco, or drain to waste, with multiple cycles per day.

I try to feed the soil. Not the plant.

Keyword there being: soil. Coco is not soil. Not one bit. It's hydro, even with brownish stuff in the pot. The input pH must be 5.5-6.5, you gotta feed/water several times per day, and slow-release tabs don't cut it. And especially don't treat it like watering a soil plant. If coco gets too dry, it's a PITA to get it re-hydrated.

Wow that is a high ph for coco. 5.8 normally. As a hydro , it's a few feeds daily as it drains to waste. How will this effect your tab. Will it be washed out of the medium quicker ?.
Perlite would just make it wash through quicker as it loosened the medium more. I did use bio tabs but when they set up initially, I thought it went Into the water as a powder at first but mixed it eventually. I mean out of all nutrition by week 7 of flower as i extended the veg too far initially .

This. I have yet to see them successfully applied in coco. Gotta do a flood/drain with coco, or drain to waste, with multiple cycles per day.

Keyword there being: soil. Coco is not soil. Not one bit. It's hydro, even with brownish stuff in the pot. The input pH must be 5.5-6.5, you gotta feed/water several times per day, and slow-release tabs don't cut it. And especially don't treat it like watering a soil plant. If coco gets too dry, it's a PITA to get it re-hydrated.
Damn... Unfortunately i dont have the recources for a flood/drain especially not to act fast.... would a coco blend work? Of kot i might just go back to my good old dirt

Wow that is a high ph for coco. 5.8 normally. As a hydro , it's a few feeds daily as it drains to waste. How will this effect your tab. Will it be washed out of the medium quicker ?.
Perlite would just make it wash through quicker as it loosened the medium more. I did use bio tabs but when they set up initially, I thought it went Into the water as a powder at first but mixed it eventually. I mean out of all nutrition by week 7 of flower as i extended the veg too far initially .
I lifted the plant out the coco.. i saw the tab was already desolving... basically going to waste.. so the organic bacteria that are released by the tablet have nothing to hold on to since the coco isnt soil.. its my First time using the tabs and my first time with coco... u live and learn

I lifted the plant out the coco.. i saw the tab was already desolving... basically going to waste.. so the organic bacteria that are released by the tablet have nothing to hold on to since the coco isnt soil.. its my First time using the tabs and my first time with coco... u live and learn
As we all do mate. The coco should hold some nutes but they do happily let go of the ions as they are inert. For me its Megacrop all the way. Cheap to use and excellent. Drain to waste that doesnt feel like your wasting feeds. It does look toxicity related so the tab is probably burning them too. I dont know what they are but I think they are designed to slowly break down and feed the soil over time. Grow caps were the same idea but they get mixed into the soil. With coco a regular feeding g till you get 10% waste run off twice a day at least is the ideal way to go. Feed with the solution for coco , that way it all get a good feed and will hold it long enough for the roots to feed.

As we all do mate. The coco should hold some nutes but they do happily let go of the ions as they are inert. For me its Megacrop all the way. Cheap to use and excellent. Drain to waste that doesnt feel like your wasting feeds. It does look toxicity related so the tab is probably burning them too. I dont know what they are but I think they are designed to slowly break down and feed the soil over time. Grow caps were the same idea but they get mixed into the soil. With coco a regular feeding g till you get 10% waste run off twice a day at least is the ideal way to go. Feed with the solution for coco , that way it all get a good feed and will hold it long enough for the roots to feed.
Thanks my guy! Just ordered the nutes and small flood and drain.. i Used up the rocks for my tomatoes, and when everything arrives the next few weeks ill hopefully be set

sorry for the late reply.
What Kind of nutes are u feeding? How much each day?

sorry for the late reply.
What Kind of nutes are u feeding? How much each day?

I’m not running coco right now, but I’d still use the same nutes I am now if/when I go back to it. I’m using MegaCrop, and follow their feeding chart. If I see plants wanting more or less, I adjust.

You start with your water, add calmag and mix. Add nutes and mix, then let sit for an hour or so. Then stir the mix up real good again, and pH to the 5.5-6.5 range. You always have feed in your water, and feed several times a day.

With the new rig you have coming, you’ll mix up a res and change it out every week. When running a res, I strongly suggest getting a blue lab guardian. It’s a constant measuring device that monitors EC/TDS/PPM, temp, and pH. So much easier glancing at the wall whenever you want than breaking out various meters now and then. You don’t have to have it to start, but put it on the list for sooner rather than later.

I would also strongly suggest running either hydroguard, Z7, or both. That will help keep you res healthy and free of bad bacteria.

I’m not running coco right now, but I’d still use the same nutes I am now if/when I go back to it. I’m using MegaCrop, and follow their feeding chart. If I see plants wanting more or less, I adjust.

You start with your water, add calmag and mix. Add nutes and mix, then let sit for an hour or so. Then stir the mix up real good again, and pH to the 5.5-6.5 range. You always have feed in your water, and feed several times a day.

With the new rig you have coming, you’ll mix up a res and change it out every week. When running a res, I strongly suggest getting a blue lab guardian. It’s a constant measuring device that monitors EC/TDS/PPM, temp, and pH. So much easier glancing at the wall whenever you want than breaking out various meters now and then. You don’t have to have it to start, but put it on the list for sooner rather than later.

I would also strongly suggest running either hydroguard, Z7, or both. That will help keep you res healthy and free of bad bacteria.
Awesome bro! That sounds amazing thabks for the Info. Imma check if my Balance alles the bluelab kit but ill get it latest in a month

Love the stuff here too MultiV. I do add silica/CalMag at similar amounts too. Cannot fault it at all in any medium I tried so far.

Love the stuff here too MultiV. I do add silica/CalMag at similar amounts too. Cannot fault it at all in any medium I tried so far.

Silica will screw your pH over in hydro. It's a huge hassle (to me anyway) to have to bump the pH down 2x-3x/day for it. I've even tried the “pH perfect” stuff and their own brand (rhino skin) that is supposed to be compatible blew the pH over a full point above hydro range. Wasn’t supposed to, but it damn sure did. :(

Now I will use a little in flower once the pH starts to naturally drop. At that point I add just a tad and it keeps it up where I want it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom