Police Concerns About Industrial Hemp Should Be Addressed

Truth Seeker

Gov. Steve Beshear told reporters Tuesday that he wants law enforcement concerns about industrial hemp resolved before the state approves a measure to allow farmers here to grow it if the federal government lifts restrictions.

Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education), Kentucky Narcotic Officers' Association, Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police and other police organizations have expressed opposition to Senate Bill 50, which passed 31-6 last week.

Proponents of the bill, including Agriculture Commissioner James Comer, say industrial hemp would be a good alternative to tobacco and other crops and could boost the state's economy if it is legalized.

But law enforcement officials have said industrial hemp production in Kentucky is not economically sound, would impose an unnecessary financial burden on the state, and could facilitate future efforts to legalize its cousin — marijuana. The production of hemp also could impede law enforcement's marijuana eradication efforts, they say.

"Although industrial hemp contains only a small percentage of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, the plants are indistinguishable to the eye," said Tommy Loving, executive director of the Kentucky Narcotic Officers' Association. "Without laboratory analysis, you can't tell them apart."

Dan Smoot, vice president of Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education), said hemp is not in high demand and it would cause more problems than benefits.

Beshear told reporters Tuesday that lawmakers should carefully examine the concerns of Kentucky law enforcement officials, given the drug abuse epidemic here, according to the Associated Press. Last week, House Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonsburg, also voiced his concerns about the legalizing the production of a plant that has leaves nearly identical to marijuana.

Former CIA director James Woolsey (Clinton Administration) spoke in favor of the bill at the Senate Agriculture Committee meeting, where the bill was first heard.

"There are 35 industrial western countries that permit the growing of hemp," said Woolsey, a member of the North American Industrial Hemp Council. "We cannot find one that has had a problem in distinguishing industrial hemp from marijuana."

Under Senate Bill 50, the state Department of Agriculture would be responsible for monitoring industrial hemp. Farmers wishing to grow hemp in Kentucky would register with the department and submit to criminal background checks before receiving licenses. Licenses would be renewed yearly.

State and local law enforcement would receive notification of licenses with exact GPS coordinates of hemp crop locations. Crops not used for research purposes would be at least 10 acres in size.

The bill also requires documentation from a licensed hemp grower when transporting hemp from a field or other production site. Industrial hemp can be used in the production of ropes, fabrics, plastics, cosmetics and other merchandise.

Hemp_Harvest.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: lanereport.com
Author: Lorie Hailey
Contact: Contacts - Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News
Website: Governor: Police concerns about industrial hemp should be addressed

But law enforcement officials have said industrial hemp production in Kentucky is not economically sound, would impose an unnecessary financial burden on the state, and could facilitate future efforts to legalize its cousin — marijuana. The production of hemp also could impede law enforcement's marijuana eradication efforts, they say.
(I love this... right now it remains illegal and they have nothing to support their opinion)

"Although industrial hemp contains only a small percentage of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, the plants are indistinguishable to the eye," said Tommy Loving, executive director of the Kentucky Narcotic Officers' Association. "Without laboratory analysis, you can't tell them apart."
(When your stupid and don't know what marijuana buds look like. It doesn't take a lab to determine if it will get you high or not)

Dan Smoot, vice president of Operation UNITE (Unlawful Narcotics Investigations, Treatment and Education), said hemp is not in high demand and it would cause more problems than benefits.
(Problems that they are already dealing with that would cost more than what the state can make off of taxing hemp? )

Beshear told reporters Tuesday that lawmakers should carefully examine the concerns of Kentucky law enforcement officials, given the drug abuse epidemic here, according to the Associated Press. Last week, House Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonsburg, also voiced his concerns about the legalizing the production of a plant that has leaves nearly identical to marijuana.
(If marijuana were taken off the Schedule-1 list and growing hemp became legal... no more problems or marijuana epidemic in Kentucky!)

(Over all, I believe we need to stop treating abuse on all drugs as a criminal offense and treating it like a medical condition. We seem to be creating more criminals by incarcerating them than we would if we would just treat them for their disorder. Prohibition of marijuana has failed and costs taxpayers too much money. New studies on marijuana are proving there is more benefits in marijuana than there are problems. Marijuana is environmentally beneficial, medically feasible and economically suitable. A quarter million of lives are ruined every year for a simple plant that people have the greatest intentions and purposes for.)

But law enforcement officials have said industrial hemp production in Kentucky is not economically sound, would impose an unnecessary financial burden on the state, and could facilitate future efforts to legalize its cousin – marijuana. The production of hemp also could impede law enforcement’s marijuana eradication efforts, they say.
(I love this... right now it remains illegal and they have nothing to support their opinion)

“Although industrial hemp contains only a small percentage of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, the plants are indistinguishable to the eye,” said Tommy Loving, executive director of the Kentucky Narcotic Officers’ Association. “Without laboratory analysis, you can’t tell them apart.”
(When your stupid and don't know what marijuana buds look like. It doesn't take a lab to determine if it will get you high or not)

(Problems that they are already dealing with that would cost more than what the state can make off of taxing hemp? )

(If marijuana were taken off the Schedule-1 list and growing hemp became legal... no more problems or marijuana epidemic in Kentucky!)

(Over all, I believe we need to stop treating abuse on all drugs as a criminal offense and treating it like a medical condition. We seem to be creating more criminals by incarcerating them than we would if we would just treat them for their disorder. Prohibition of marijuana has failed and costs taxpayers too much money. New studies on marijuana are proving there is more benefits in marijuana than there are problems. Marijuana is environmentally beneficial, medically feasible and economically suitable. A quarter million of lives are ruined every year for a simple plant that people have the greatest intentions and purposes for.)

I would argue that the vast majority of cannabis users are not abusing the plant, but merely using it for medicine. Even those who are using it without any major pain or health issues. I would argue that the mere using of the plant is self medicating, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Even if all you need is something to unwind at the end of a stressful day I see no problem with it. I disagree with the idea that it has a high abuse potential and with the idea that it's addictive. Many of us take prescription medications daily and I see no difference with cannabis....other than the fact that it is utterly non-toxic, unlike most prescription medications.

I would argue that the vast majority of cannabis users are not abusing the plant, but merely using it for medicine. Even those who are using it without any major pain or health issues. I would argue that the mere using of the plant is self medicating, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Even if all you need is something to unwind at the end of a stressful day I see no problem with it. I disagree with the idea that it has a high abuse potential and with the idea that it's addictive. Many of us take prescription medications daily and I see no difference with cannabis....other than the fact that it is utterly non-toxic, unlike most prescription medications.

Hemp, unlike marijuana, has little or next to nothing for medicinal value. It will not intoxicate you like marijuana. Hemp seeds can be used to make lotions, soap, etc. Hemp is used to make paper, clothing, rope, etc... They would still have to reschedule marijuana still because it does contain THC. Hemp contains about 1% THC content. The part they use from hemp is the stems and seeds to make products that make for a greener earth.

Hemp, unlike marijuana, has little or next to nothing for medicinal value. It will not intoxicate you like marijuana. Hemp seeds can be used to make lotions, soap, etc. Hemp is used to make paper, clothing, rope, etc... They would still have to reschedule marijuana still because it does contain THC. Hemp contains about 1% THC content. The part they use from hemp is the stems and seeds to make products that make for a greener earth.

Not true. Here's the use cycle that should be utilized with this plant.

1. Grow plant until mature.
2. Dry/Cure plant material using whole plant.
3. Seperate seed from rest of plant material for use as seedstock, fuel, food, oil.
4. Break down remaining plant material for medicine and fiber. THC, and other cannabinoids, can be found in all green parts of the plant to varying degrees and they're also VOC's, thus making them ideal molecules to be captured via distillation processes. Any other useful chemicals can be also be captured during this phase.
5. Utilize remaining fiber for paper, textiles and building materials.

We know for a fact that cannabis has many medical uses, and the government can no longer say we don't know what it will do to those consuming it.

Your confusing marijuana with hemp. Hemp has less than 1% THC whereas a sativa will have 98%. Smoking hemp would be like smoking rope, the only buzz you will get is a headache.

Back
Top Bottom