Pot-smoking Aids Patient Gets His Day In Court

T

The420Guy

A local AIDS patient is looking forward to his day in court, four months after being charged with possessing marijuana.

Allen Merritt will appear in court Oct. 16. He was one of two men charged after police raided the Cannabis Cafe May 9.

"This is ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense at all," Merrit said. "I need marijuana to get through the day."

For the past three years, Merritt has been on a strict regimen of pharmaceutical drugs. Pot helps him deal with their side effects, including headaches, nausea and constipation.

Merritt is happy because he believes the case will draw attention to the plight of AIDS patients who use the drug as part of their medical treatment. "I'm glad this is happening," he said. "This is an opportunity for me to do some good."

Last year, the federal government made marijuana available to people with terminal illnesses. But it's difficult to secure permission to use the drug. Patients cannot obtain the drug from a pharmacy and doctors are reluctant to assume responsibility for prescribing marijuana. Instead, users turn to illegal sources to obtain relief.

Recently, the Cannabis Cafe started selling marijuana to people who have doctor's notes.

Merritt was originally scheduled to appear in court June 25, but the proceedings were delayed following the government's decision to loosen marijuana possession laws.

Despite the seriousness of the charge, Merritt remains unfazed by the recent turn of events. He has even picked out an outfit to wear. "I have the snappiest blue blazer," he said.

Pubdate: Thu, 02 Oct 2003
Source: here (CN NB)
Copyright: 2003, here publishing inc.

Back
Top Bottom