PPM Help

Ajax

I hate to start a new thread but I'm tired of searching the internet not finding what I am looking for.

I am doing a DWC grow and i would like to know what ppm should my reservoir be throughout the grow? Does it depend on what nutrients you are using? Everyone uses "1/4, 1/2" terms but i would like to hear it in ppm because after all, that's how we measure.

and also, i read somewhere it is beneficial to cut back the nutrients before you switch to flower?

thanks guys

It does depend on nutrients, as far as PPM's. Also, believe it or not PPM's aren't universally measured the same. It's a conversion that is made to EC and it varies by the different companies that make the meters.

For example, Hannah TDS meters use a .5 conversion, and Oaktons default at .7, etc.

Here is an example of the nutrient schedule I started with for this grow. I tweaked it along the way as I reacted to what was happening with the plant. I was using Dutch Master nutrients, and a meter with a .5 conversion (.7 conversion means higher PPM numbers than a .5 conversion). This was an 8 gallon reservoir:

nutrient_schedule.jpg

If you go to the nutrient manufacturers website, they can usually give you a good starting point and info on PPM suggestions. :goodluck:

Excellent information Xlr8!

I think PPM is more rleative to one's growing style. If you are using CO2 in your rooms then you can bump up your PPM to higher levels. At the same time the type of strain is considered too. I grew a haze strain that "consumed" higher levels of food than another strain that was grown in a similar setup up in the same room. If I tried to bump up PPM on that strain, it would get burned.

The growing system is another factor when considering PPM. I have grown in soil, bubblers (DWC), and Ebb and grow. So far I have noticed that I can jack my PPM higher in my bubblers without compications. The soil grows I kept my PPM lower even though I had the same strain in both systems.

The 1/4 or 1/2 measurements are good starting points for a new grow(or when adding something new to the soup). Your best bet is to get to know the strain you are growing. You can always bump up your PPM as your plants get bigger and stronger.

I like to keep my PPM around 1200 during most of my grow, which is considered low for Hydro.

in a 6 gallon rez. I run 1200ppm and I use co2. but I keep it at that number whether I am using co2 or not:peace:

Back
Top Bottom