Prescription Pot, Please

Pinch

Marijuana's immense medical benefit

Marijuana is considered by most governments (notably America's) to be a drug without use, harming people and supporting both criminal gangs and corrupt governments.

However, marijuana is a drug of immense medical benefit, too. Cannabis can treat anything from pain to cancer and has got an extremely large pharmacopoeia.

Marijuana contains at least 70 chemicals, called cannabinoids, as THC and its cousins are known. Many of them resemble vital molecules of the human body.

These chemicals activate receptor molecules in the human body, especially the cannabinoid receptors on the surfaces of some nerve cells in the brain and stimulate changes in biological activity.

It is often still unknown which molecules are having which clinical effects, due to a lack of medical research.

But the American government is unwilling to change this. On April 20th (and you guys thought someone was jacking us.. it's real!- Pinch)America's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a statement, saying that smoked cannabis has no accepted medical use in treatment in the USA.

This statement is dubious in many ways. First, it ignores a report made in 1999 by the Institute of Medicine, which came to a completely different conclusion.

The committee found some scientific information supporting the medical use of marijuana for certain patients for brief periods. The drug gives patients, suffering from multiple sclerosis, AIDS and cancer special medical benefits, over and above the medication, they are already receiving.

This works, too when cannabis is being smoked. Though by doing that the patient inhales many of the harmful things found in tobacco smoke, like for example carcinogenic tar. However, the medical benefits of smoking the weed, while suffering from multiple sclerosis, cancer or AIDS, clearly exceed the risks of smoking.

A second reason, why the FDA's report is curious, is that it lacks common sense. As a matter of fact cannabis has been used for medical purposes for thousands of years and the American government even supplied it for some time, before the scheme was shut down in the early 90s.

Today cannabis is used in many parts of the world, even despite it's illegality, in order to relieve anxiety and pain, to prevent seizures of muscular spasms and to aid sleep.

In fact the FDA actually licensed a drug, called Marinol, a synthetic version of one of marijuana's active components, THC. But this drug isn't nearly as effective, nor cheap as real cannabis.

In order to create better marijuana-related drugs researchers need to be able to breed their own plants. In the USA, this is impossible. As a result other countries are gaining the medical knowledge.

In 1997 a British company, GW Pharmaceuticals has been requested by the British government, to come up with a program to develop cannabis in a pharmaceutical product. In the meantime the company has produced more than 300 varieties of cannabis, and obtained the right to plant between 30 and 40 of them.

GW has already launched it's first drug on the Canadian market, called Sativex. Sativex consists of an extract of marijuana and is sprayed under the tongue.

It is designed for the relief of neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis. Sativex is also available to a more limited degree in Spain and Britain. Moreover it is in clinical trials for other uses, such as relieving the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.

At the start of this year even the FDA has accepted it as candidate for clinical trials. But there is still a log way to go, until it will be sold in America.

Source: OhmyNews
Copyright: ©1999 - 2006 ohmynews all rights reserved.
Author: Andre Hillenbrand
Contact: nternews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125)
Published: May 10, 2006
Web: Prescription Pot, Please - OhmyNews International

Thought you guys might like to know, my buddy has Marinol perscribed. He gets 120 each month at a cost of.. are you ready..

over $1200.. for 120 pills.. that's over $10/pill.

Now he gets it through Medicare.. 1200 fucking American dollars! My fucking tax dollars and yours pay for this shit!

$1200.. twelve hundred dead presidents!

Is there something wrong with this picture?

I think you should say "can be used to treat the side effects of cancer" instead of "can be used to treat cancer", which it isn't.

Pinch said:
Thought you guys might like to know, my buddy has Marinol perscribed. He gets 120 each month at a cost of.. are you ready..

over $1200.. for 120 pills.. that's over $10/pill.

Now he gets it through Medicare.. 1200 fucking American dollars! My fucking tax dollars and yours pay for this shit!

$1200.. twelve hundred dead presidents!

Is there something wrong with this picture?

If there is money to be made off of these drugs you can bet that medical science will find a way to synthecize. If you think about it, all Demerol is Morphine and all Oxycodin is Codene. Illegal yes, effective yes, profitable...VERY!

RooRman said:
I think you should say "can be used to treat the side effects of cancer" instead of "can be used to treat cancer", which it isn't.

Semantics brother.

FYI.. I didn't write this article. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

I understand you didn't write this article, but treating cancer and treating cancer symptoms is not semantics at all. By saying "used to treat cancer" they are eluding to the fact that it actually combats the cancers progress or even forces it into remission, which it does not. It is only used as a pain killer and appetite stimulant for cancer paitients and it in no way treats the actual disease.

Ok..

Yep. Thats just like the medical industry. Profiting off things you can get from nature for less. Only advantage to synthesizing chemicals found in nature is to better control dosage.

Actually in this case smoked marijuana or vaped can be controlled better than marinol. Also why do they keep saying smoked marijuana is bad and they are completely overlooking aten and vaped especially.

FDA is biased, of course they wont say its beneficial, that would mean the gov't has been prosecuting ppl for decades for using something that can improve one's health. Imagine the huge change in restructuring, tax dollars, etc that the gov't would have to go through to change their stance. Wont happen, not without heavy political support, and not by us the little people but by our elected representatives.

BongoJongo said:
Actually in this case smoked marijuana or vaped can be controlled better than marinol. Also why do they keep saying smoked marijuana is bad and they are completely overlooking aten and vaped especially.

Mr Bongo.. the operative word here is "SMOKING".. it is bad, it kills.

Go to NORML site and just read articles on "SMOKING" pot.. it is bad.

https://www.norml.org/pdf_files/NORML_Marijuana_Health_Mythology.pdf

Here's a question for you.. how can you say that marijuana smoked or vaped can be controlled better than Marinol? Please show me where you got this information.

I have done quite a bit of Marinol (40 mg/dose).. I know what my dosage will be, I know exactly when it's going to kick in and know that it will last 4 mind numbing hours exactly.. how much more control do you want?

When I vape, it's usually a different strain each day and I can't predict how it's going to effect me as far as functional or non-functional and how long the effects will last. Perhaps you can, I can't.

Help me with this one, show me some scientific facts please to support your claims.

Sativex consists of an extract of marijuana and is sprayed under the tongue

You guys, Sativex is not synthetic, it is an "extract".

Marinol is synthetic.

Back
Top Bottom