Proposed Tax On Palm Springs Medical Marijuana Is Just Too Vague

The General

Measure B, as it stands, is way too vague and says very little on what the planned usage of funds generated will be. My understanding was that the tax was to generate funds to help regulate the medical marijuana business. We would like to request the city to divulge the percentage of tax they will impose before the election. We believe if they plan is to regulate this industry a board should be set up with representatives such as police, city officials, shop owners and patients of Palm Springs.

As a collective owner, I have found that a majority of patients are on fixed incomes and receive little or no assistance from their health insurance or the government. A 15 percent increase will chase many patients back to the streets. Delivery services and more illegal shops that will open to assist these patients. All the licensed collectives in Palm Springs lab test their medicine so the patients know their medicine is clean, which cannot be said for most black market collectives or delivery services. Licensed shops have been lab testing medicine for over a year, which is not cheap but is done to ensure that no tainted meds reach our patients.

The licensed shops are all new businesses and are nonprofit operations. They will not be able to absorb the high taxes. If we could limit the tax to 5 percent to 6 percent, it would be much less of a burden. The funds collected would be placed in the general fund, so it can be used for anything. If the idea of the measure is to regulate us, money should be used for that purpose and to educate the public, police, help patients and/or collectives. Currently, there is no outlet for answers or assistance. As a medical marijuana patient, I believe this tax is excessive and shows little compassion by the city. I urge the residents of Palm Springs to vote no on Measure B unless the city tells us what the new tax rate will be and what the money will be used for or all the hard and wonderful work by their City Council goes up in smoke.

Cannabis_In_Bag.png

News Hawk - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Mydesert.com
Author: Jim Camper

Back
Top Bottom