Q&A: Medical Marijuana In N.J

Truth Seeker

Greenleaf Compassion Center in Montclair is expected to open soon as New Jersey's first medical marijuana dispensary. A primer on the medical marijuana program's rules, considered the nation's toughest:

Q: How do I know whether I qualify?

A: You must be a New Jersey resident, and diagnosed with one of these illnesses: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease); multiple sclerosis; terminal cancer; muscular dystrophy; inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn's disease; or any terminal illness with a prognosis of less than 12 months to live. Patients with seizure disorders, such as epilepsy, chronic muscle spasms and glaucoma may qualify if traditional treatments fail. Patients with HIV/AIDS and cancer may qualify if they suffer from severe pain or nausea, vomiting or "wasting syndrome."

Q: Will my doctor help me enroll, or do I have to find a new doctor?

A: If your doctor isn't already registered with the program – and only 175 out of nearly 24,000 New Jersey physicians are – suggest it. You can review the list of registered doctors at Medicinal Marijuana Program - ATC information and call to make an appointment. The law requires you and your doctor have a "bona fide" relationship, meaning you have seen this doctor for at least a year, or on at least four different occasions, or because the doctor has conducted a comprehensive medical history and physical exam and has agreed to manage your care.

Q: How much does it cost to enroll?

A: $200 for a two-year identification card, or $20 if the patient qualifies for Medicaid, temporary or permanent disability programs or food stamps.

Q: What will the dispensary sell?

A: Patients may buy no more than two ounces of marijuana in a 30-day period. The dispensaries will sell smokable forms of the drug in one-quarter-ounce denominations, and if they choose, lozenges and topical treatments like lotions or oils.

Q: How much will my pot cost me?

A: Each dispensary will set its own prices. If other states are a guide, a quarter ounce in Colorado and New Mexico runs about $80 to $86, according to a random check of dispensary websites.

Q: I live nowhere near Montclair. Where else may I buy medical marijuana?

A: For now, Montclair is it. The state health department has granted only Greenleaf a permit because it has passed a rigorous licensing and vetting process. There are five other nonprofit dispensaries in various stages of state and local approvals. Dispensaries are planned for Woodbridge and Egg Harbor; no proposed locations have been announced for the other ones. If you cannot make the trip to Montclair, a designated caregiver willing to undergo fingerprinting and a background check may retrieve the drug for you. Caregivers, too, must pay the $200 enrollment fee, or $20 if they meet low-income guidelines.

Q: When will Greenleaf Compassion Center open?

A: Its founders and board of directors have not announced a date yet.

Q: Where may I find more information?

A: The state's website, NJ Department of Health- Medicinal Marijuana Program or call the customer service line: (609) 292-0424 Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 p.m. Greenleaf Compassion Center: greenleafcompassion@gmail.com or (973) 248-7927.

MMJ_In_Baggies.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: nj.com
Author: Susan Livio

Back
Top Bottom