Queensland Hemp Producers Say Allowing Production For Food Would Encourage Investment

Robert Celt

A Queensland company is calling on the State Government to change the law preventing industrial hemp from being produced for human consumption.

Under Queensland's Drugs Misuse Act, it is illegal to produce cannabis seeds for the manufacture of products that can be consumed, smoked or applied to humans.

Board member James Hall said the law should be changed to allow production of hemp products for markets where it was legal to be consumed.

"When you de-hull the seed you get 52 per cent protein and 40 per cent oils," he said.

"Of that 40 per cent oils about 35 per cent of it is very good oils: it's got Omega 3s, 6s and 9s in perfect balance for human consumption.

"The protein is something that everybody needs, and it's a very easily digestible, and there's absolutely not THC at all in any of the food."

THC is the psychoactive component of marijuana that makes it an illegal, illicit, substance.

But Mr Hall said in the past 15 years hemp enthusiasts in Bundaberg had bred seven unique low-THC varieties of cannabis – one that was great for producing fibres and six that were suitable for grain production.

While the production of hemp fibres is legal in Queensland, it requires high capital input with a long return on investment.

Overseas, many fibre operations are subsidised by the food and oil market, where hemp seed is used to make medicinal products, milk, cereals, granola, cakes, and flour.

The Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code prevents the use of hemp as a food, and the Federal Government currently does not allow exports of medicinal or food products.

But Mr Hall said there were investors in the US and in Australia willing to commit as much as $30 million to the local industry if it could supply food and oil, which provided faster and higher returns on investment.

Hemp breeder David Gillespie said the first step was amending the Drugs Misuse Act.

"There's a big potential to get investment, providing we can have all three avenues: fibre, food and medicine," he said.

"In under-developed countries it could be an excellent food.

"It's very high in protein in the form of all the essential amino acids that the body needs to build protein.

"Russia and China have eaten this as a food for thousands of years ... and there's no reason why industrial hemp food can't help feed the planet."

While a change to the drugs misuse act would not necessarily pave the way for exports – that was covered by federal law – the company said it would put them one step closer.

Opposition supports changes

The push has attracted the support of LNP State Member for Burnett, Stephen Bennett, who said governments had been overly cautious on the issue of hemp.

"I suppose I must admit I was quite embarrassed about my ignorance about the potential and the capacity that this business could have for our region. More importantly for the state and country, but also the wider world can benefit," he said.

"We need to look at something like a parliamentary inquiry in Queensland.

"We have the politically will, we have the courage, I think now's the time to get on with the broadscale growing of this product.

"Let's get the benefits back into the community in Australia and more importantly across the world."

Queensland's Agriculture Minister Leanne Donaldson has visited the Bundaberg hemp farm and said she was impressed with the product.

She said she approached the Attorney General to discuss changing the law.

"We are looking at cannabis oil trials and working with NSW, so we are very interested in moving forward with cannabis oil and hemp as a product," she said.

"There is certainly a lot of interest, we need to have a look at the legislation or any barriers as they stand, and that's a discussion that we'll continue to have to see how we can support new industries, particularly agricultural industries.

"This is a company that is very keen to stay locally in Bundaberg and I absolutely support any industry that wants to remain here and create jobs in our local region."

The Agricultural and Environment Committee will be briefed on the issue tomorrow.

Hemp57.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Queensland Hemp Producers Say Allowing Production For Food Would Encourage Investment
Author: Kallee Buchanan and Rachel Riga
Photo Credit: Rose Grant

Back
Top Bottom