Question about ballasts

paddy420

I am in the market for two 600 watt ballasts to replace my one 1000watt light. I am not sure what the diffrence is between digital ballast and magnetic besides price. Would a digital ballast save me money on my electric bill?

Electronic ballasts are more efficient. They have a higher power factor, 95%+. They are better for your bulbs. They start up softer then magnetic ballasts which prolongs bulb life. They basically don't beat your bulb up as much as a magnetic ballast. They will not depriciate your lumen output as quickly as a magnetic ballast. They are quieter then magnetic ballasts. I can't even hear mine starting or running. They are an all around better ballast. You'd be wise to go with electronic over magnetic. Eventually magnetic ballasts will be a thing of the past kinda like cassette tapes IMO. I myself have 600 watt lumatek ballasts and couldn't be happier. Here's some info on them.

More lumens generated per watt of electricity consumed - Lumatek ballasts have increased efficiency over magnetic ballasts. They lose fewer watts from the power supply to the lamp. This is a power factor of 95%+. The high frequency output results in low power loss
Fast start-up - they reach full brightness quickly

It's true, electronic ballasts have had there "problems" in early development. However, I believe they have gotten all that straightned out. Here's a thread I started about lumatek ballasts awhile back. lumatek ballasts

Back
Top Bottom