Quick Little Grow Guide - by Smokey

SmokeyMacPot

Growing marijuana is illegal and the author of this article nor this website is to be held responsible for your actions. Check your local laws. This is for informational purposes only.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Lighting is one of the biggest issues, and should be the first thing to be thought about when building a grow room.

The cheapest kind to use is flouresents. They are cheap to buy, not much electicity consume and they get the job done. Floros produce very little heat so you dont have to worry alot on ventilation issuse.

You can also use HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps. Types of HID's are metal hylide and high pressure sodium. These are the best lights for grow rooms. They produce alot of lumens which your plants love so it gives you tighter internodal spacing and improved yeilds. Mh and HPS give off alot of heat so you want to have a good ventilation system.

STAY AWAY FROM: incadelesnt light bulbs, blacklights, halogen work lights. These will NOT work. They are the wrong spectrum and may produce too much heat and are very inefficiant.

I would recomend an air conditioner if you are useing alot of hps lights. Also an air conditioner and dehumidifier will pretty much eliminate the need for in and out vent and alot of fans. no in and out fans would make it easyer to control mold and pests. one other thing you may need if you are not useing in and out vents is a cO2 generator or some other co2 providing system.

Using an intake and outtake is mostly the cheapest way. To keep your room cool. Put the exhast fan on the top of the room. As heat rises it will be taken out. The intake should be on the opisite side of the exhast. it should be place lower like a foot off the ground. Carbon Dioxide is heavyer than air so it is lower to the ground. Also putting the intake on the oppisite side of the room make the air travel accross the room and ventilates it all.

Re: Quick Little Grow Guild - by Smokey

Germination of seeds is confusing for some people. It can be as simple as just poking a hole in the soil, dropping in the seed pointy end up, and watering. This method will work but I would still recomend letting the seeds sit in a glass of distilled water for 24 hours.

Another widely used method for germination is what I like to call the contaniner type germination. all it takes is a tupperware or similar type container and 2 paper napkins. You moisten the paper towels and give them a little squeeze so water doesnt drip everywere. Put one paper napkin in the container to make a bottem layer. Then the seeds go in. Cover the seeds with the other towel. Finish it off by putting the lid on the container. Place in a warm dark place.

For germination I like the temps around 85 degrees. This will make for a higher germination percentage.

Next thing to get down is soil. I will be discussing hydro later. You can use regular store bought soil. Look for soil that is plain and organic. Promix is a good brand and is available at most walmart and home depots. I would recommend mixing the soil with 20% perlite and 5% sand. Perlite is a thin matirial that is mixed with soil to give areation to the roots, and help drainage. The sand serves the same purpose. You can use your own mixes of perlite, sand, and vercumalite.

I would start in 16 oz containers. Let them fill up the space and transplant to a 2 gallon pot. Then if it fills that up i move it to a 5 gal. container. These steps allow the plant to grow roots from the middle of the last container. This will make for a better root mass and may help prevent plants to become rootbound. The roots grow out from the center of the container instead of going stright out and begin wraping around like they would if planted straight into a container.

There is many ways to transplant I'll tell you one. Have your matirals ready and near you. You want to make this a fast easy stress free prosses, for both you and your plant.

For this you need a flexable knife dedicated only to gardening, soil mix, empty container that is the same size and shape as the one your plant is in, and a larger container to which you will be transplanting.

First fill the larger pot half way with your soil mix. Make sure theres no lumps in your soil. Put the empty container in the large one and fill the large one with soil around the smaller one. Give the soil a light press. You want it to be loose enough to let water and air get trough and also packed enough not to have gaps of air. Remove the empty container and you will have a perfect place to put your plant. Get your plant and grab the stem from the bottem near the soil. Check if the plant and soil will come out the pot effortlessly. If not give the pot a little press and wiggle it to get the soil out. If its too hard then get the knife and carfully go around the pot. Then you will be able to pull it out. It helps to have the soil of the plant moist so it can stay intact and not crumble. Place in the gap in the middle of the large pot and place a layer of soil above it and give a light press. Water it alittle. You can use a product like Superthrive to ease it out of stress.

Nutrients are a bit confusing to some people. I'll make it easy. Plant mainly need these basic nutrients, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. These are called the N-P-K. The levles of each nutrient is listed in that order. Such as 10-2-5. This would mean that there is more nitrogen in the fert. Nitrogen is used for growth of the plant, which is durning Veg. Phosphorus is a part of different emzymes, protiens, DNA, and RNA. DNA and RNA both have to do with genetics. So if you want your genetics to come through like resin development and other things you want to keep yout P right. K or Potassium is needed mostly in flowering. It helps maintain moisture level of the plant and is needed for the plant to translocate carbohydrates. Carbs make fat buds so, if you dont have proper levels of K your yeild will be lowered.

These levels are also shown on organic nutrients. Organics are recomended because it make the finish product smoother and tastyer. Also chemical nutrients can stay in your plant and you dont want to be smoking chemicals.

Chemical nutrients are sometimes the most convenient to use. They are pretty easy to mix and all you do is fallow directions. Remember to use pure water for atleast 1 week before you harvest. This will flush out the chemicals from the plant. You can also use some sort of leaching solution, this will cut down the flushing time.

hey, good thread. Could you cover some stuff about trimming and watering techniques too? I mean this could be an invaluable research for newbies like me :)

I am in the process and need to know about lighting. The plants are about 10 - 12 inch and have good color. Should light be on 24hrs or should I start spliting it up 12 / 12?

DblazinAfatty said:
I am in the process and need to know about lighting. The plants are about 10 - 12 inch and have good color. Should light be on 24hrs or should I start spliting it up 12 / 12?
I'm new at this myself, but I've been doing a lot of reading, so I'll try to help you out from that pool of knowledge.
1. Buy the best lightiing you can afford. How many lights to use will depend on how many plants you have. There are a couple of excelent essays on growing at the end of the very last page of this section of the forum. One is called "the joy of growing" or something like that, the other is the very last one on that page. Read those to figure out what kind of lighting you will reqire for your set up.
2. When you start to flower will depend a lot on how much room you have available to grow. How tall is your grow space? Figure that your plants will at least double in size (if not more) by the time you're ready to harvest. The more you let them grow before you start to flower, the more internodals you will get, and that means more bud come harvest. A big factor too is how much time do you want to invest. 10 inches is a bit small, but you could certainly start your 12/12 cycle in a weak or 2 if you'd like.
Read those essays, and anything else you can get your hands on. Knowledge is power dude.
Vin.

Back
Top Bottom