Removing hermie

jackcracked

Hi. Growing 6 white widow ladies in 11 gal bubleponics unit.
I'm starting the 3rd week of flowering and the one runt of the group has gone hermie on me.
So, after triming the one limp with balls showing,I come back the next day and find another limb growing balls also. That's when I decided to cut the plant back to a stump with 4-5 " branches.
My question is, can I just leave this stump and root system in place until the end of the grow, about another 5-6 weeks away or do I have to cut the roots and remove.
The plants are about 44" tall and filling my 2.5'x3.5' x7' cab to the max. Removal will probably end up damaging limbs at this time and I am wondering what's going to happen if I just leave it alone.
Has anyone done this succesfully. Thanks
Bob

I did one Deep Water Culture grow, I had 4 plants in a ten gallon res, one turned out to be male so I cut it down at the net cup then lifted the lid and cut the roots of it to the main root ball then removed the net cup and put duct tape over the hole, worked great. The problem thaat I had was the res temps, it was too hot, res temps were in the 80`s and by the 8th week in flower the plants fell over and died due to root rot, so just a little advice, keep those res temps below 75 deg. peace!

Thanks for your reply Diesel Farmer.
I went through a stretch of hot tank temps last month ,with temps in the high 80's, but came through alright.
It's now cooling off, so hot tank temps should be behind me.
It makes me wonder though,if the roots left behind, after surgery to remove, were responsible for the root rot you experienced.
I'm afraid, if I remove the one root ball without seperating the 5 remaining root balls and removing all the old plants roots,that any roots left behind will screw up my tank ph and contaminate the tank. Thanks again
Bob

Thanks for your reply Diesel Farmer.
I went through a stretch of hot tank temps last month ,with temps in the high 80's, but came through alright.
It's now cooling off, so hot tank temps should be behind me.
It makes me wonder though,if the roots left behind, after surgery to remove, were responsible for the root rot you experienced.
I'm afraid, if I remove the one root ball without seperating the 5 remaining root balls and removing all the old plants roots,that any roots left behind will screw up my tank ph and contaminate the tank. Thanks again
Bob

I had the same concern but was assured that it wasnt an issue, but who knows. There is a product called hygrozyme I think that you should look into also, it may be what you need but I havent used it, peace bro!

Thanks for the tip on the hygrozyme, I'll take a look at it.
Right now, i,ve decided to let it stay in the tank with the stump in place and see what happens.
If things go bad down the road ,I can always pull it then. As it is now, the plants are about 4' tall and growing out of my box, so I know moving it will end up with damaging it and that's what I,m trying to avoid.
Thanks

Ok just so nobody goes through this again, two weeks later ,after cutting down my hermie ,I'm back to report that I had to remove the stump and roots since they were starting to rot. After cutting the plant back to a stalk without any leaves and a fully developed root system the plant never recovered.
Removing the roots was easier than I had anticipated, probably since it was a runt anyway.
I was interested in knowing if it would just start growing back and could be left alone until the end of the grow in 5 more weeks but it didn't work out
The End

Back
Top Bottom