RI: Proposal For 'Incremental Legalization' Of Marijuana

Ron Strider

Regulate Rhode Island and a group of lawmakers recently announced a proposal for "incremental legalization" of recreational marijuana, which would allow the possession of small amounts starting next summer, and establish an advisory board to provide recommendations regarding sales and cultivation.

The compromise legislation, introduced by Sen. Joshua Miller (D-Cranston) and Rep. Scott Slater (D-Providence) in partnership with nonprofit Regulate Rhode Island, would legalize possession of one ounce or less for those 21 and older on July 1, 2018, when marijuana retail stores are scheduled to open in Massachusetts. It would also establish a six-person advisory board comprised of two state officials selected by the governor, two state senators, and two state representatives to look at the outcomes of legalization in other states. The group would issue a report by January 1, 2018 with recommendations about how to establish a system for taxing and regulating marijuana in the state.

At the same time, a bill to create a 19-member study commission to conduct a comprehensive review and offer recommendations about marijuana and the effects of its use recently passed the House and Senate. The proposal for a study commission has been a topic of discussion long before the concept of "incremental legalization" was announced.

Some lawmakers but not all are interested in compromising. Newport This Week contacted regional legislators to hear their opinions about the possibility of incremental legalization.

Sen. Lou DiPalma (D-Middletown), who co-sponsored the legislation to create the study commission, doesn't think marijuana should be legalized at all and is of the opinion that any step towards legalization is wrong. He said he's supportive of creating a study because it's critical that they get facts from the most reliable sources such as the National Institutes of Health and the Government Accounting Office.

"I understand and appreciate what they're looking at, but an incremental step means that they want to incrementally get towards the end game of legalization and I think that's wrong," he said. "I look at it from a policy perspective and look at the negative impact on adolescents. If it's a wrong policy, it's a wrong policy. That doesn't change if there's money involved and it's good for the economy. I believe the facts and data from the National Institute of Health, Government Accounting Office and others will show that the negative effects of legalizing the recreational use of marijuana far outweigh any positive effects, should any exist."

As chairman of the House Finance Committee, Rep. Marvin (D-Newport) said he did not feel comfortable commenting on the proposed legislation as the bill will go through his committee and he wants to be as open-minded and fair as possible when reviewing it. He did offer some general comments on the possible legalization of marijuana: "I think all states are working to find a way in which to legalize recreational marijuana without harming kids and adolescents," he said. "What this group is trying to do is negotiate something that could happen over a period of time as opposed to right now."

Rep. Lauren Carson (D-Newport) said that although she hadn't studied the proposal and wasn't clear on all the details, she's told her constituents that legalizing recreational marijuana is not a top priority for her.

"There's a lot of people working on it, and we passed legislation for a commission to study the legalization, so there's a few things going on right now and I'm kind of waiting for the process to work its way through," she said. "I've told my constituents that I will not cosponsor a bill but that if it comes to the floor, I can safely say that all the details have been working out and I would vote for it. I do think that having a commission study will bring a wide variety of resources and experts to promote a transparent discussion on the matter."

Rep. Deborah Ruggiero (D-Jamestown) said she supports the study commission.

"This needs to be looked at as a policy decision and not a revenue decision," she said.

Marijuana_Products_-_THE_ASSOCIATED_PRESS.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Proposal for ‘Incremental Legalization’ of Marijuana | June 29, 2017 | Newport This Week
Author: Brooke Constance White
Photo Credit: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Back
Top Bottom