Rob Corry Doesn't Think National Guard Should Have Seized MMJ Cards On 4/20

It's been a busy day for the Corry family. Earlier today, attorney Jessica Corry spoke about a legal and industry coalition formed to potentially sue over portions of HB 1284, the medical marijuana regulatory bill nearing passage.

Now, her husband and fellow attorney Rob Corry is going after Senator Scott Renfroe for suggesting at the capitol during the HB 1284 debate that Governor Bill Ritter should have ordered the National Guard to seize MMJ cards of everyone celebrating 4/20 at Civic Center Park.

In a just-released letter, Corry demands an immediate retraction from Renfroe -- and he helpfully offers to publicize his contrition. What a guy! Read the letter below, as well as watch a video of Renfroe's remarks.

Senator Scott Refroe

Colorado Senate

Denver, CO

Re: Your Call for Government Military Force Used Against Coloradans Suffering from Debilitating Medical Conditions

Dear Senator Renfroe:

I called your office to discuss this with you in a civilized manner, but your voice mail is full, so I write instead. Perhaps those who filled your voice mail share my shock that a serving Colorado State Senator would, on the floor of the State Senate, call for armed military troops to forcibly take away the personal property (State-issued Medical Marijuana Registry Cards) of Colorado's medical marijuana patients, peacefully exercising their First Amendment rights on April 20, 2010 at a permitted event in Denver's Civic Center Park:

I am baffled as to how a Republican who trumpets Christian beliefs and alleges support of "small government, property rights, individual liberty, and protecting life" would advocate -- even as legislative hyperbole -- the use of armed government military force against people who are doing nothing worse than exercising their constitutional rights to express opinions with which you may personally disagree. Many of these suffering patients are disabled veterans who served their country in wartime, and suffer from war-related debilitating medical conditions.

Your hateful words have caused widespread panic among Colorado's patients, who already fear of the "auditors with guns" your colleague Senator Chris Romer pledges to unleash on them through the passage of House Bill 1284.

Your statements do have one side benefit: you have helped expose the contempt that many legislators have for the Colorado Constitution, Article XVIII §14, protecting the medical use of marijuana for people suffering from debilitating medical conditions. Thanks to you, Coloradans (and perhaps reviewing courts) will be able to view legislative intent and motivation on this issue in the proper context.

The damage has probably already been done, but perhaps you can minimize it if you act quickly and decisively. Thus, please immediately retract, in writing, your utterly irresponsible and fearsome statements, and clarify that you do not support the use of government military forces against peaceful medical marijuana patients. I will be happy to help publicize your retraction if you provide it to me.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this important request, and please do not hesitate to call me if you would like to discuss this further. My office phone is 303-634-2244 and cell phone is 720-629-7112.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Corry, Jr.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Denver Westword
Author: Michael Roberts
Copyright: 2010 Denver Westword, LLC.

Looks like someone is itching for a new Kent State incident. I think it would go much differently in this day and age. A lot more people are packing these days.

Back
Top Bottom