School Board Member & Teacher Charged in Party Bust

Wilbur

A local school board vice chair and his teacher wife are both accused of hosting alcohol parties for underage students.

Jim and Helen Hesch turned themselves in Wednesday, and were led out of the Newport Police station in handcuffs.

Local 12's Shawn Ley explains that these parties were pretty much an open secret.

Students tell us it's widely known that a board member's home is apparently a safe haven for kids to drink, and even smoke marijuana. Some kids even nicknamed the home the "party house."

It should be playoff fever for Newport High School. But not all students are cheering for every player on the team...players they say are boasting about what's been allegedly going on here, the home of the star quarterback.

"The football players brag about it," said Felicia Turner, Newport High School student. "They think it's cute."

Wednesday night, no Newport High School students, not even one student on the football team, was in any trouble.

However, one player's parents, Jim Hesch and wife Helen, were under arrest. They are accused of letting students get drunk at their Newport home.

They're just not popular parents, they're known more for volunteering. Jim Hesch is on the school board, vice-chairman of Newport Independent Schools. His wife, Helen, is a teacher at Newport Middle School.

Students know them well and say some students have this name for the couple's home:

"They always just called it their little hang out, the party house," said Sarah Hilligas, Newport High School student. "The party house. That's how I knew where it was," said Turner.

Police arrested the couple after questioning Brandon Hall. Hall is a Newport High School teacher. He was arrested last week, accused of drinking and smoking pot with students.

Police say they caught Hall on videotape by parking an unmarked van outside the home of Jim and Helen Hesch. They say they watched Hall with students, and pot and alcohol were on the porch.

Wednesday night, the Hesch's, Brandon Hall, even Newport school officials weren't talking. But parents want answers.

"They should be punished," said Connie Wardlow, Newport parent. "Whatever that punishment is, I don't know. But in my opinion I don't think they should get away with it. But then, I don't think the students should get away with it either."

Police have only said they watched students drinking and rolling marijuana with a teacher at the board member's home. They haven't said if those students are on the football team. We asked why those students weren't cited. Police say they consider them "witnesses."

Local 12 tried to contact the superintendent of Newport Independent Schools and its board members to ask about the status of the Heschs. Our calls were not returned.

Newshawk: user - 420 Magazine
Source: WKRC 12 (Cincinnati)
Pubdate: 9 November 2006
Copyright: 2006 Clear Channel Broadcasting
Website: https://www.wkrc.com/News/Local/story.aspx?content_id=05CB84A3-9055-46E9-B827-AF94551A45C2

Back
Top Bottom