Seed harvesting - Letting them drop

I've searched for days attempting to find this answer but have not stumbled across it. In an attempt to harvest seeds at the proper time, is it ok (or best) to just let the buds ripen on the plant until the seeds fall out?

My thinking is that seeds naturally dropping from their pods would ensure proper maturity of all collected seeds.

i let my seeds grow for 35 odd days or 5 full weeks from day of pollenation.
once finished i just snip the plants and hang them for 3-5 days until the buds are dry then sorta carefully ru the buds between my fingers and thumb and the seeds sorta drop out lol.
you will find them all, its not hard

I feel ya. I'm wondering if letting the seeds mature to the point of falling out on their own helps retain a higher % of fully mature seeds. Just continually collect what falls until they're all out.

I used to let seeds ripen 5/6 weeks from pollination and I got viable seeds. I then started leaving them 6-8 weeks and I collected even more viable seeds as all the immature seeds had a chance to ripen. So on average you will get more viable seeds from a plant that is left longer - although you will harvest viable seeds at six weeks. The seed is fully mature when you see the calyx crack and part of the seed exposed. As with many things in life, waiting a bit pays extra dividends.

I used to let seeds ripen 5/6 weeks from pollination and I got viable seeds. I then started leaving them 6-8 weeks and I collected even more viable seeds as all the immature seeds had a chance to ripen. So on average you will get more viable seeds from a plant that is left longer - although you will harvest viable seeds at six weeks. The seed is fully mature when you see the calyx crack and part of the seed exposed. As with many things in life, waiting a bit pays extra dividends.
Thank you.! There's not nearly as much information about making and harvesting seeds as there is about growing the plant.

Also if you leave the seeds in there too long, in the living buds i mean, they shrivle up...
had that happen one time i pollinated a long-flowering sativa.
little white sultanas the seeds shrivled into , took maybe 8-10 weeks from pollination.

Also if you leave the seeds in there too long, in the living buds i mean, they shrivle up...
had that happen one time i pollinated a long-flowering sativa.
little white sultanas the seeds shrivled into , took maybe 8-10 weeks from pollination.
Thank you! That's the info I'm looking for .

Back
Top Bottom