Seed plants vs their clone offspring

cannilingus

Anyone else notice, how the plants you get from seed, are not up to par, with the next gens? Every time i start from seeds, the seed plants make me think, "no way" by the way it looks, and or smokes/yeilds. well. i now have some ice that is now second gen, and are about 32" tall, in bloom now for 6 weeks, and are way superior to their parent seed plants. Lots of bud going all the way down the stalks. so cool. the seed plants were buds here and there. I have been using dyna gro, with excellent results. i am going to give them some pk 13/14, i have laying around starting next week, for a couple of feedings. i have some purple bud from seed, thats currently in veg. i wont let these seed plants influence me, until i see the offspring. and i just took clones off of two of the five fem seed plants. so chime in here, on the seed plant vs proginy. id like to see if others have the same results.

I haven't brought a crop to flower in a long, long time. I am a clone farmer (and this time of year exhausted and ready for it to end).

The last time I did a "grow" from seed was about twenty years ago, before I really knew what I was doing. Sometime in August I plan on starting a 3600 wt SCROG grow over three 4 x 8 tables and I will definitely use some of my own clones - prolly C99 Cindy. I try to start my mothers from seeds (unless I personally know and trust the person I'm getting a clone/mother from). Seed moms are the only way to go in my humble opinion. They make for strong healthy babies, and that is important to me - I have developed a reputation in my area as having the nicest babies.

Maybe someone else here has experience in flowering both seed plants and clones. I suspect it has a lot to do with the genetics, and environment.

~ Auggie ~

I grow from seed, I will rarely lower myself to other growers 'mistakes' for many reasons really! namely that the clone is only as healthy as the mother at the time of separation, and its a down hill ride for the cutting until it has been established with roots etc
for many its a business and from the time the clone farmer has flicked them of to perhaps some dodgy intermediary ..to the trucker then to the dispensary ...anything can happen ...that can only be bad for said plant, and yes then theres the infamous lack of vitality that all clones possess...

Seeds are the best way to go - that's what I grow my moms from.
But, the farmers that I deal with grow at least 100 and some as many as 1000 at a time.
One farmer is an indoor guy that runs several locations, and his need is constant.

How can those guys grow from seed? They can't.
Out of 1000 clones, there will be a certain percentage that just don't make it. It is expected whether you buy plants from your local nursery, from WalGreens or from the guy next door. These are living things, and they are all different. But, seeds are the offspring of living things, and they are all different too.

If I don't consistently deliver high quality plants, accurately disclose genetics, etc. - I am out of business pronto. (at least)

~ Auggie ~

i have never kept a mother plant. when i want to try new strain, i order seeds. and, every time, the seed plants are not near as nice as thier clone offspring later on the next run. I dont know why. but they seed plants allways seem stunted. lol. i just put three chemo seeds, and two god bud seeds, into the wet papert towel. i looked up how to sex seeds, as these are regs. so. should all be female. out of ten, i lost one of each on the carpet. and, two of one, three of the other. if i had a clone shop nearby, trust me. id use a clone to start. but, no way to tell, if they found a dank, or simply cut some clones off a "so so" plant.

I don' keep moms either can ... at the end of each "clone season" I either flower them out, give them away or butcher them and put them in the trash. I start each season with fresh grown (from seed) moms. In fact, I just ordered $200 worth of seeds yesterday for next season. I have to start moms in November so they're ready by January. Depending on strain, I figure I can take 50 to 100 starts off of each mom once a week. I start a dozen seeds and wean them down to the strongest four or five - and that's the season.

I can't imagine not living near a collective with a good selection of clones. Or a grow store with a great selection of food, soil, pesticides and advice.

We certainly have an odd mixture of laws here in California. I wonder what it will be like when its all legal. Prolly all controlled by big money like it is in Colorado. Don't know which is worse.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom