Seed vs Clone Harvest Weight?

Dr.Greenlove

i was told that clones produce more bud weight than a plant grown from seed given the same growing conditions.

is this true or myth?

I think a clone can do as well if it is treated the same way. I've heard of clones becoming old and weak if they are cloned too many times, like 5 or 6 generations of cutting a clone from a clone, then cutting a clone from that clone, etc.

This is only from what I've been told, I'm sure others here are more experienced in this.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that most people start with a seed, figure out which are the females, use one as a mother to clone from until the end of time if they want.

If you are starting from a clone, then yeah, what you-all is saying might come into play. I really do not know if clones taken from clones, and so on, have any negative effects. I have heard testimony proving both. LOL!

I could be wrong but im thinking it depends on the veg cycle. If you have a clone to take root and get nice and healthy, then you take a seedling and grow it to the same size/mass as the clone, I think you would get roughly the same yield. As long as they are the same size/mass when you put them into flower. But thats just me, you would prob have to veg the seedling longer but if they are side by side and healthy and the same size I would think you would get about the same. But I could be totally wrong, im just going by all the info I have learned. Im sure there are more experienced people that could help you better.

a clone is a small part of a mature plant, seedlings are not. its like saying a 6 yo child will reach puberty faster than a newborn.

in real soil, outdoors, seeds make bigger plants than clones due to a long deep tap root.

I think a clone can do as well if it is treated the same way. I've heard of clones becoming old and weak if they are cloned too many times, like 5 or 6 generations of cutting a clone from a clone, then cutting a clone from that clone, etc.

This is only from what I've been told, I'm sure others here are more experienced in this.

I got a clone of G-13Xnortern lights from a friend almost 13 years ago. A Buddy of mine is still growing it, and it still smokes as good as ever. Its what I have been smoking the last week or so. If I had a camera right now I would post a pic. I don't know how may times we have started a new clone mother at least a dozen. But wait it gets better, I ran into the guy I got the clone from a couple of weeks back. We got to talking and he said he had been growing it for at least ten years before he gave it to me and he got it as a clone. Now he wants a clone because he got busted a few years ago and lost all his genetics. I just wish he still had the durban clone I traded him way back when.

I would honestly say the clone would yield better because chances are you've already run the strain as a seedling and know how to feed it better. I found my clones yielding way more than my seed started plants just for this reason.

But for technicality, they should yield the same given the same conditions. A clone is just a genetic replica of the plant it came from.

a clone is a small part of a mature plant, seedlings are not. its like saying a 6 yo child will reach puberty faster than a newborn.

in real soil, outdoors, seeds make bigger plants than clones due to a long deep tap root.

My experience says you are 100% correct. Seeds will give a more robust, healthier and disease resistant plant than clones.
As for genetic drift in clones... not as big a deal as some think. I have a friend in Australia that has been getting flowering clones from the same plant for over 10 years now, No drift what so ever.

Learned something new again! I had always been told a clone yields less the more cuttings of cuttings you take.

Cheers
:peace:

Back
Top Bottom