Seedling stem has no strength, lets plant fall over

Blazur

K about a week old, leaves look fine and the seedling is just finishing its first node point. stem seemed great for a while but now it lets the plant fall over completely! I am growing indoors with an intake and outake fan (have now added a smaller fan below the plant to circulate air around the grow box) and i am growing with a small incandescent light like the type used in lamps. im giving her 18/6 right now if that helps at all but i think the issue could be the heat, its super hot where i am and the thermometer says its around 33 at some points which is too hot i read

Re: Seedling stem has no strength, lets plant fall over :(

Incandescents are no good for growing. Wrong color, too hot, and uses too much power for the amount of light you get.

If the stem is weak and falling over, the hot light bulbs may be causing it to evaporate water faster than the roots and stem can take it up the plant.

Get a good CFL of 6000K-6500K veg spectrum/color temperature on it.

Having the fans on it so much will also cause it to evaporate too much water.

Shut them down for a few days, change the bulb, and see if it improves.

okay i have moved the plant farether away from the lights now and i am going to go looking for the lights tomorrow. would i have to go as far as a Rona or do they have them at zellers do you think? also should i be watering it frequently still?

What is a rona? What is a zellers? Never heard of them. What country are you in?

haha they are hardware stores, im from canada

Okay thanks guys i have switched over to a new CFL that has 6500k so that should be enough light for one plant i think

I purchased a 250 cfl in the 6500k range. Works great. You at least want several 27 watt cfl's if not higher in the 6500k range. When you go to flower you want the same or higher in the 2700k range. Water every 3 to 5 days depending on your plants needs. I am also using grow big by Fox Farms. Gotta feed em at least once a week at the beginning. They say feed, water, water, feed.

put a small stake in planter to tie ur bebe to and get a fan blowing on the plant at least enough air moving to make the plant sway a bit and this will strengthen up ur stem

You can also use a empty toilet paper roll cut to length to keep it in place till it can stand on its own and keep the CFL close to the plant.

light too weak or too far away will make the plant stretch to get to it and the results will be a very weak stem that falls over, prop it up with toothpicks and move it closer to a cfl and hope it thickens.

Back
Top Bottom