Should Medicinal Marijuana Become More Available In New Zealand?

Jacob Redmond

Medicinal cannabis may become more readily available in New Zealand.

That comes as a ONE News/Colmar Brunton poll shows more Kiwis are open to the idea of greater use of medicinal marijuana for health purposes.

Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne is undertaking a review of the national drug policy and drug laws and says while there's been no relaxation of laws on recreational drug use, he's open to more medicinal products being available if they undergo a comprehensive testing regime.

The poll shows 47% of people think marijuana should be legal for medical cases, with nearly a quarter saying it should remain illegal.

Just nine percent believe marijuana should be legalised for general use while 21% say possession of a small amount should only incur a fine and no criminal conviction.

There is one product on the market currently that contains cannabis derivatives - it's called Sativex and 48 Kiwis are allowed to use it.

But it's prohibitively expensive for most people.

Mr Dunne says if products are "shown as a result of the normal testing programme to be fit for purpose" then he'll permit them to be made available here.

"It depends entirely on whether it is credible, I don't think the notion of just puffing a few joints in your backyard is credible."

Toni Marie Matich has a teenage daughter with a rare form of epilepsy that sees her suffer multiple seizures and says she would benefit from medicinal marijuana.

"I feel a lot of the general public, if they had a child as sick as mine, they would do anything they could to try and make their child better," she told One News.

She's set up an organisation called United in Compassion, which is linked to the Australian version, and met with Mr Dunne this week to discuss the way forward.

"It isn't an overnight thing that's going to happen, it's going to take a long time, but I feel as a small country we have the ability to catch up with the rest of the world."

She says more products are needed to help people with a range of illnesses.

433.jpeg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Should medicinal marijuana become more available in New Zealand? - One News | TVNZ
Author: Katie Bradford
Contact: About TVNZ | Television New Zealand | Entertainment | TV One, TV2
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom