"Smokable" pain drugs promise faster action

BiggerTom

"Smokable" pain drugs promise faster action
Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:33am ET
But Alexza's idea of heating up a drug to create a vapor, or smoke, is unique.
The company's lead product is a vaporized version of an old drug called prochlorperazine, which Alexza is developing for migraine headaches but is currently used in liquid, oral or suppository form to treat severe nausea.
While it is sometimes given intravenously in hospitals to treat patients with acute migraines, the drug is inconvenient to deliver.
HIP FLASK INHALERS
Alexza is hoping to provide similar results but in such a way that patients can carry the delivery device -- an inhaler that looks like a miniature hip flask -- in a pocketbook or the glove compartment of a car.
The device contains a battery-powered package that heats a thin coating of drug to create a vapor that can be sucked into the lungs.
"It's a useful mode of delivery, though its desirability and frequency of prescription will depend on the disorder," said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia University.
The company plans to release initial results of a mid-stage clinical trial of its migraine drug by the end of March. If all goes according to plan, Alexza could file a marketing application with U.S. regulators in 2010.
The company is also testing inhalable drugs for pain and anxiety, and for agitation in schizophrenia patients.
While Lieberman doubts there would be much demand for an inhaled product for agitated schizophrenia patients, who would be unlikely to cooperate in taking it, he said there could be benefit for patients with migraine, panic and pain.
"People with panic disorder want immediate relief and would be very cooperative," Lieberman said. "They know that if they take a pill it can take up to an hour to work. This would be a non-stigmatizing way to deal with the situation."
Thomas King, Alexza's chief executive, said the company expects to announce a partnership with either a major drugmaker or specialty pharmaceuticals or device company to help develop at least one drug during the second half of this year.
"The key is to find partners with the same passion for the technology and what it conveys as we do," he said.
© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.
:bongrip: :bong: :Rasta: :cool: :hmmmm:

WOW Really? You mean there's a drug that you can vaporize? Sarcasm wasn't too thick was it?

**of course, Not aimed at you BTom** thanks for sharing the info

It does sound like a sweet delivery system through...

I think it's the beginning to AMA acceptance of the medicinal properties of Cannabis.
The AMA has always admitted to several theraputic uses of Cannabis, but they would never approve of a medicine that has to be 'smoked.'
That they are now admitting that smoking a pain reliever brings faster relief than swallowing one, I am hoping that the AMA may change their opinion about the many medicinal uses of Cannabis.
:allgood: :peace:

One can hope...take them scales from there eyes...a lot of doctors feel threatened by herbal medicine because it elimates some of their jobs...they really are full of shit and I work around a bunch of 'em...:smokin: My personal MD was impressed at how much better I've gotten over the last year...I told her straight that I've been an MMJ patient for the last year:laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: ...she wants my other doctor's number for an appointment...she only considered pharma as the answer...ok...one more on our side!:headbanger:

BiggerTom said:
I think it's the beginning to AMA acceptance of the medicinal properties of Cannabis.
The AMA has always admitted to several theraputic uses of Cannabis, but they would never approve of a medicine that has to be 'smoked.'
That they are now admitting that smoking a pain reliever brings faster relief than swallowing one, I am hoping that the AMA may change their opinion about the many medicinal uses of Cannabis.
:allgood: :peace:

this is true, but with the recent advances in vaporization technology (that is totally wide spread) along with significant evidence and studies to back its claim, the gov is running out of excuses not to finally formally review MMJ

Back
Top Bottom