Snow melting on roof of attic grows in winter?

RandyL

I saw some photos of this back when I first started researching growing marijuana. Cops were finding grow houses because the snow was melting off the roof in wintertime because of the heat from grow lamps inside.

Any idea how much heat this would take to do and how to fix it?

Put insulation on the underside of the roof itself? Ensure air is flowing through the attic enough to keep the temps low? I think it'd have to be in the 70's in there at least for pot plants to grow properly, correct?

Thinking of this makes me think of the house I grew up in, I was always up in the attic! The floor of the attic was insulated, but the roof was not, it was 2 by 8s and the plywood on top of that, plus the shingles and roofing paper, and that was all. Very hot in summer in the attic, rather cold in winter.

I grew 4 plants in an attic using a secret jardin tent in NE Ohio. I started in March when it was cold outside. In March I used a New Wave T5 8 lamp fluorescent light with a small heater on a timer. The lights and timer were on in the evening and the light was off durring the day.
When it got hot outside I did not use the heater.
Plants did really well and I harvested in June.
I think for this method to work I will need to grow in the Spring and Fall only. The winter is too cold and the summer is too hot.
This was a small grow so the heat from the light was not a big issue untill July
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom