Some Local Shops Link Spirituality, Marijuana

MedicalNeed

It's been said that Moses smoked the burning bush, that the Book of Revelation was written in a drug-induced state, and that most religions began with mystical experiences enhanced by hallucinogens.

These fringe ideas have found a place at some of the 176 medical marijuana dispensaries that have sprung up in Colorado Springs. But there are also a handful of dispensaries that use religious terminology and imagery while claiming no religious affiliation.

Perhaps the most popular religious reference is to the Tree of Life, written of in Genesis. Healing Tree Cooperative, Tree of Life Wellness Center and Tree of Wellness are just some examples.

The tree of life for the centers is cannabis, the plant used to make marijuana.

Melissa Romero, founder of Healing Tree Cooperative, embraces the drug for both medicinal and spiritual reasons.

"I believe in Christ," she told me. "I believe God grew the plant, and I don't believe that Satan does any growing because he cannot create."

"The majority of people need to expand their minds a little bit," she said. "Cannabis is from the Earth. It is a good thing and creates a lot of healing.

"Medical marijuana is my avenue to show love and help people," Romero said.
But Joey Stine doesn't view marijuana as a spiritual drug. And the name of his dispensary business, Natural Mystic Cannabis Caregivers, doesn't allude to religion.

"I am a big reggae fan," Stine told me. "I got 'natural mystic' from a Bob Marley song. "No part of my thing (is religious)," he said. "We are just trying to help sick people feel better."
Christianity is not the only faith suggested in dispensary names and advertising.

Garden of the Ganges Wellness Center shows the Hindu goddess Shiva in its ads. Tibetan prayer flags wave in the breeze outside the center.

Any religious significance?

Stuart Sloat, owner of Ganges Wellness Center, said "Ganges" refers to the famous Indian river, where, according to him, cannabis was first grown along its banks 3,400 years ago for medical purposes. The prayer flags are simply decorative.

"Religion is not part of our business," Sloat told me.

Even so, Sloat waded into religious waters when explaining his choice of Shiva, the destroyer of ignorance who brings about purification and transformation in Hindu tradition.

Shiva transforms a corrupt world and dances atop the "ignorance demon," Sloat said.

"And here we are, an industry that is drastically reducing the corruption caused by illegal drug trades," he said, "coupled with stamping out the ignorance that society has following the better part of a century's propaganda campaign" against marijuana.

The Cannabis Church was supposed to be planted this month in the Springs.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Colorado Springs News & Information : Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Author: MARK BARNA
Copyright: 2010 Freedom Communications
Website:PULPIT: Some local shops link spirituality, marijuana | spirituality, link, local - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

That's how I know that he wants the best for us!! Who could supply such an abundance of natural remedies for our enjoyment?!! Hallelujah! and yes Amen!

:bong: I'm an atheist, and I thought all those people who wrote that BS were stoned and delusional, how else would they come up with most of that CRAP. At least it gives some good morals but the rest of it is SMUT. Sorry to say.

God/Universe is of BOTH, good and evil, there is no devil, it was created as an illusion...God has to hold evil as you cannot have one with out the other, good/bad, tall/short, white/black, left/right, up/down, fat/skinny....got it?
God is of both good and evil and you cannot have the perfect world with all flowers and roses with no thorns.

It is the balance of good and evil in each and everyone of us that will create a balance world. We create nature to act up as a collective in our consciousness, just like you...YOU CREATE THE WORLD in which YOU LIVE.
You created your sickness, your happiness, your love, your money, your home, you are that in which God/Universe is of, therefore YOU are BOTH good and evil, which you create balance or you can go crazy and be evil, or go crazy and just be the most nicest person on the planet.

Free will choice, we are just a piece of dust in your home, the home of space and you are as tiny as that gain of dust you cannot even see, God/universe needs nothing from you, wants, wills, needs....and you NEED NOTHING OUTSIDE OF YOURSELF TO BE HAPPY.
bLESSINGS

It's been said that Moses smoked the burning bush, that the Book of Revelation was written in a drug-induced state, and that most religions began with mystical experiences enhanced by hallucinogens.

These fringe ideas have found a place at some of the 176 medical marijuana dispensaries that have sprung up in Colorado Springs. But there are also a handful of dispensaries that use religious terminology and imagery while claiming no religious affiliation.

Perhaps the most popular religious reference is to the Tree of Life, written of in Genesis. Healing Tree Cooperative, Tree of Life Wellness Center and Tree of Wellness are just some examples.

The tree of life for the centers is cannabis, the plant used to make marijuana.

Melissa Romero, founder of Healing Tree Cooperative, embraces the drug for both medicinal and spiritual reasons.

"I believe in Christ," she told me. "I believe God grew the plant, and I don't believe that Satan does any growing because he cannot create."

"The majority of people need to expand their minds a little bit," she said. "Cannabis is from the Earth. It is a good thing and creates a lot of healing.

"Medical marijuana is my avenue to show love and help people," Romero said.
But Joey Stine doesn't view marijuana as a spiritual drug. And the name of his dispensary business, Natural Mystic Cannabis Caregivers, doesn't allude to religion.

"I am a big reggae fan," Stine told me. "I got 'natural mystic' from a Bob Marley song. "No part of my thing (is religious)," he said. "We are just trying to help sick people feel better."
Christianity is not the only faith suggested in dispensary names and advertising.

Garden of the Ganges Wellness Center shows the Hindu goddess Shiva in its ads. Tibetan prayer flags wave in the breeze outside the center.

Any religious significance?

Stuart Sloat, owner of Ganges Wellness Center, said "Ganges" refers to the famous Indian river, where, according to him, cannabis was first grown along its banks 3,400 years ago for medical purposes. The prayer flags are simply decorative.

"Religion is not part of our business," Sloat told me.

Even so, Sloat waded into religious waters when explaining his choice of Shiva, the destroyer of ignorance who brings about purification and transformation in Hindu tradition.

Shiva transforms a corrupt world and dances atop the "ignorance demon," Sloat said.

"And here we are, an industry that is drastically reducing the corruption caused by illegal drug trades," he said, "coupled with stamping out the ignorance that society has following the better part of a century's propaganda campaign" against marijuana.

The Cannabis Church was supposed to be planted this month in the Springs.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Colorado Springs News & Information : Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Author: MARK BARNA
Copyright: 2010 Freedom Communications
Website:PULPIT: Some local shops link spirituality, marijuana | spirituality, link, local - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Actually, you are of both or neither, soul is nor male or female, no gender, you take on the illusion in which your soul would like to experience as human on this world. that last level you were on pervious lifetime, whether you believe you are back or not. You choose to be of woman and have those experiences. Some have come as man but wanting to be woman and as human they experience the sex change as human's. I choose to be man, but wanting to experience sexually both a kind of freedom of sexual self. I Am of Pisces so I have lived all signs and I work between spiritual world and the reality world. I'm having a stone fest blast!!!!

if that is for me, I'm not a man, but thank you :smokin:

Well...I do identify as a woman, but I think it's less of a choice and more what society has dictated. I'm woman because it has been decided that my body and the way I dress is that of a woman. But some trans* people are born in a body that does not match what gender they are. So idk what's going on lol

As our North American laws are built on the Christian model it seems like the right way to fight for the pot.

Pot supersedes any of mans laws regardless of your religious leanings.

It's just a plant like any other. Sure, it has special qualities but so do many more that are still legal.

Most of the still legal plants won't do what pot does.

Create seeds that are the planets best food.
Create fiber that is the planets best.
Create medicinals that are better than Big Pharma's.
Create fertile ground and/or fix worn out farms.

Stop the cutting of old growth trees for paper!
Stop the import of foreign oil!
Stop the import of foreign oil-based fibers for clothing!
Stop tossing insightful people in jail!

Just. Stop!

The insanity of the first world gov'ts need to control just has to stop. Huge corporations are running more of our lives every day. Next you know it will be illegal to refuse a flu shot.

F'n Canadians want 6 months for 1st offence for more than 5 plants.

Make a cookie out of it and take 18 months thank you very much! WTF!

As long as one plant doesn't get me a bullet in the back of the head, I'll get growing!

C'ya

:bong: I'm an atheist, and I thought all those people who wrote that BS were stoned and delusional, how else would they come up with most of that CRAP. At least it gives some good morals but the rest of it is SMUT. Sorry to say.

The great irony behind atheism is that you have one group of assholes dismissing another group of assholes' beliefs, both of which have absolutely no ability to say they're correct with any mathematical certainty.

The atheist could not prove the existence of nothingness any more than the religious man could prove the existence of God.

The conviction and nastiness that springs up in these conversations is all based on a bunch of faith without fact. For the atheist, it's faith in nothingness in the absence of scientific proof, and for the religious, it's the exact opposite.

Disclaimer:
For the purpose of this commentary "assholes" is a general term of affection intended for all of humanity (your humble author included) and not a jab at any member of any specific group.

@ptg710 "Any conversation dealing with religious opinions is based on 'faith without fact.' That's what religion is."

Actually, the root of the word religion is to retie, as in using a ligament to tie something. The idea being we "retie" or secure ourselves to the source.

That said, I would postulate that all "facts" are faith-based as well. We take as a "fact" that matter is made up of atoms. Have any of us actually seen an atom? Perhaps we have seen photographs of pictures taken by so-called electron microscopes, but what does that prove? Which is not to say I am being an apologist for religion, but also I prefer not to privilege so-called "fact."

As far as I can tell, the only thing I know for sure is that I exist.

:peacetwo:

@ptg710 "Any conversation dealing with religious opinions is based on 'faith without fact.' That's what religion is."

Actually, the root of the word religion is to retie, as in using a ligament to tie something. The idea being we "retie" or secure ourselves to the source.

That said, I would postulate that all "facts" are faith-based as well. We take as a "fact" that matter is made up of atoms. Have any of us actually seen an atom? Perhaps we have seen photographs of pictures taken by so-called electron microscopes, but what does that prove? Which is not to say I am being an apologist for religion, but also I prefer not to privilege so-called "fact."

As far as I can tell, the only thing I know for sure is that I exist.

:peacetwo:
R

Nicely said any one who says they have things figured out has a very limited knowledge-base of things. Do I believe in a book that has been used to control and oppress for centuries NO. No offense to anyone but for me it has been through to many BAD hands to be of much use.:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom