State Legislators Support Medical Marijuana

420 Warrior

Washington State Lawmakers Sent a Letter to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to Reclassify Marijuana's Drug Status So It Can Be Used for Medical Purposes on Jan. 30.

Mitchell Moquin, a local artist and activist, has been using marijuana medically for one year. He believes it should be legalized for medical purposes only.

"Cannabis is critical for patients who are looking for a more alternative method," Moquin said.

Under the Controlled Substances Act ( 1970 ), marijuana is currently listed as a Schedule I substance.

Schedule I substances have a high potential for abuse and are currently not allowed or considered acceptable for use in medical treatment in the United States, according to the act. Drugs classified as Schedule I are the most restricted drugs listed on the DEA's website.

If marijuana were changed to a Schedule II substance, it would be in the same group as cocaine, morphine and opium, according to the DEA.

The reclassification would clear up the legal status of medical marijuana in Washington state, which was legalized in 1998 when 60 percent of voters approved its use.

The 43 Washington lawmakers who signed the letter did so in support of a letter Govs. Gregoire and Lincoln Chafee ( Rhode Island ) sent to the DEA in November 2011.

"What we have out here on the ground is chaos," Gregoire said to The New York Times. "And in the midst of all the chaos, we have patients who really either feel like they're criminals or may be engaged in some criminal activity, and really are legitimate patients who want medicinal marijuana."

mari-med2_0.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Western Front
Author: Josh Holloway
Copyright: 2012 The Western Front

Fantastic news for sufferers all around the world as CANNABIS is a medicine. Raw cannabis as a juice is most beneficial and has no THC yet still illegal!!!!!!!!! I have been forced to learn about cannabis the hard way by a need to keep my intra-ocular pressure down in order to keep seeing yet the hurdles I have come up against are beyond ridiculous. I have learnt with the help of other glaucoma sufferers that cannabis can work effectively for up to 72 hours instead of the so called 4 hours. When eye drops, lazer and trabeculectomy fail then why would'nt we try anything to help us. Why should we be forced to try existing failed modern medicine practices and go blind first before being forced to try an alternative natural plant Its about time for some honesty about cannabis and not all the exagerated lies the media has been saying for years.

Tis good news indeed but it is lacking in finesse. I can sympathize with those of you who need this plant for medical reasons but to say that it should be legalized for the sole purpose of medicinal use makes it sound like "if your not using it medicinally than your a law breaker"! I feel like it should be no different than alcohol! That's right, I said it! It is the most harmless drug on earth and yet the most illegal to possess. For someone to tell me that I can't be in possession of a naturally occurring plant that grows wild from out of the ground is utter bull shit. The fact that my government says that I can't possess or use cannabis makes me trust them even less than I already trust their lying asses! Stop saying for medicinal use only and start saying stop denying me my God given right to ingest one of earths most usefull plants. I am not a criminal because I use cannabis for reasons other than medical and if you can't see that then you are no different than the hypocrites that made it illegal in the first place. I encourage you all to challenge our government. I encourage you all to open your eyes to the fact that this plant is NOT harmful to those that choose to enjoy it's effects. It should be legalized unconditionally and it should be prescribed for conditions that are not limited to just nausea but for a whole host of ailments that may or may not be confined to clinical ailments. Please stop making it sound like those out there that use cannabis for reasons other than medical are criminals. They are not criminals, they are the oppressed!:thanks:

Lord Indica I totally agree with your opinion that using cannabis for other than medical reasons is not a crime. The whole illegality of cannabis is really a joke and keeping it illegal deprives many people of the opportunity to even try it for its medicinal benefits which is what upsets me.

Back
Top Bottom