State Senator Seeks To Legalize MMJ In Ohio

PFlynn

Columbus, OH - State Sen. Tom Roberts wants Ohioans to be able to smoke marijuana legally to ease their pain. Roberts, D-Trotwood, is to unveil details of his proposed Ohio Medical Compassion Act at a press conference here on Wednesday, May 21.

"Our laws should reflect the latest in medical research, which has shown that medical cannabis has a variety of benefits for treating pain, nausea and other symptoms related to a wide range of disease," Roberts said in a prepared statement.

The plan would set up a state regulated system of care. The Health and Agriculture Departments would be authorized to set up an advisory board to:

- Consider granting medicinal use of cannabis in cases of debilitated medical conditions.

- Consider applications for and renewals of registry identification cards for qualified patients and primary caregivers.

- Provide recommendations for the safe use and efficient growing of medicinal cannabis.

"In an era of scientific breakthroughs and medical advances, patients should not be put in the position of choosing between living a normal life and living a healthy life," Roberts said.

Sen. Kevin Coughlin, R-Cuyahoga Falls, chairman of the Health, Human Services and Aging Committee, gave the proposal a polite, but chilly reception.

"I think they've got a long way to go to convert me," Coughlin said. "I am going to give the proponents of the bill an opportunity to be heard in a hearing in committee."

According to a press release, these states have decriminalized penalties for the medicinal use of cannabis: Alaska; California; Colorado; Hawaii; Maine; Montana; Nevada; New Mexico; Oregon; Vermont; Rhode Island and Washington.

Source: Dayton Daily News (OH)
Copyright: 2008 Dayton Daily News
Website: State senator seeks to legalize medical marijuana in Ohio

Back
Top Bottom