Proposal to Legalize Medical Marijuana in Ohio State senate

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Columbus -- Ohioans who use marijuana for medical reasons would not face arrest or prosecution, under legislation to be introduced by one state lawmaker.

Sen. Tom Roberts, D-Dayton, announced his intentions to offer the Ohio Medical Compassion Act, creating a regulated system for the medicinal use of cannabis. A dozen other states already have adopted comparable protections for their citizens, Roberts told reporters during a press conference May 21.

"It is time for Ohio to join these states on the forefront of emerging medical breakthroughs and scientific advances," he said.

The legislation would establish a card-holder system, through which eligible residents could register, then legally grow and use medicinal marijuana for specified medical issues, including treating pain, nausea and other symptoms of different diseases. The Ohio Department of Health would administer the registration and create a confidential database of card-holders that could be accessed by law enforcement "before an arrest, raid or any other action is implemented," Roberts said.

No one younger than 21 would be eligible to register for the marijuana use cards, and cannabis use would be prohibited when operating a motor vehicle or in public places, among other provisions. It is unlikely, however, that the bill will see any movement through the legislative process before the summer, nor possibly before the Republican-led chambers end the session.

Senate President Bill Harris, R-Ashland, said no members of his caucus have voiced support for legalizing medical marijuana to him to date.

"I respect people that have pain and am concerned about that," he said. "But I think we have lots and lots and lots of different types of medicine to address that.

"And I've watched the circumstances in California where they have that in law, and I've observed the media covering where they are dispersing that type of marijuana through vending machines," he said. "I really would be concerned (about) the impact that would have on society."

But supporters believe the legislation would help people like Tonya Davis, a 45-year-old from Roberts' district who spoke during the May 21 press conference. The wheelchair-bound woman suffers from multiple medical conditions.

"Medical cannabis has literally saved my life, I believe," she said. "... This is a compassionate issue. It is a just issue. And I deserve to have a choice on what I put in my body.

"We're not trying to get high," she added.

Source: Hudsonhubtimes
Copywrite: Hudsonhubtimes
Website: Hudsonhubtimes.com - Breaking News, World & Local News, Sports & Multimedia

Back
Top Bottom