Stoner Smart And Stoner Stupid

RangerDanger

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I suggesting people sell dope. This is just a story about how some people I know did it.

2 guys, friends and neighbors, used to drive from The Emerald Triangle (N. Calif.) to the L.A. area every year, right after Thanksgiving, with about 20 pounds of pot. They knew people in L.A. who were expecting them.
Eric & Rocky like to do things right. They bought an old beat-up 2nd hand pick-up truck, the kind construction guys use, with a rack and metal cabinets on the side. They bought it to specifically use for this 1 trip a year.
They painted E & M Contracting on the side, had a cell phone in the name of E & M Contacting, even had some invoices printed that said E & M Contracting.
When they got ready to leave they's put the weed in 5-gal. plastic buckets that originally held roofing tar, paint, plaster etc.
Then they'd start piling on stuff. An upside-down wheelbarrow over the buckets, a sack of cement, power saws, ladders, hoses and other stuff you might expect to see in a work truck.
They wore work clothes. Rocky had a work shirt with his name on it and a John Deere cap, Eric had on a E & M Contracting cap.
They'd set out at dawn for the 12-hour trip, after checking to make sure all the lights were working, registration & insurance were current of course. In other words, no reason to get stopped or harrassed.
There was a clipboard on the dash with some fake work orders & real invoices.
They cruised at 65 mp.h. all the way, stopping for food at drive-thru's, at gas stations for the restroom, until finally they arrived in L.A. around 7 p.m.

They saved money by transporting the weed themselves, but they did it mainly as a chance to get out of town for a few days, travel around and see friends.
And also because they liked "putting one over" on the man. They never got a second glance from the cops.

I can reveal this because they no longer do it.

On the other side of the coin:
I read about a bust in Weaverville a few years back. The CHP stopped a car with 5 guys in it. No one was wearing a seatbelt, which will get you stopped sure as shit in CA.
When the cops asked for I.D.'s, they found out that 4 of the guys in the car had at least 1 warrant. And they found a variety of dope: pot, meth, heroin, pills, etc., on the guys and several pounds of meth in the trunk.
They all got arrested and charged with a variety of crimes.
All that dope, warrants, and they're not wearing seat belts. What maroons.

YO man... Fucking good! That story is bad ass... It was like a movie playin the whooooolllleeee time dude. Nice. Peace

The lesson I learned is that folks who look legal when driving will get pulled over less often than people without seatbelts. Good point. First apperances can be deceiving.

I wonder why these folks didn't just put things inside a couple of suitcases and go to LA impersonating tourists. Why the construction scam? Or was the truck part of making the cell phone look legit? Or, like most semi-rural folks, they found a good reason to buy a pick-up rather than a sedan?

Seriously, pretending to be a construction crew, with fake work orders, seems a bit overdone. But, 1) its not my ass on the line. 2)overdone is better than underdone. Well done is best.

Even though it's illegal, cops use "profiling" on what they call drug corridors, which the 101 leaving NorCal is.
Tons of kind bud leave the area every year. 2 guys in their 30's--40's traveling south might cause a cop who stopped them for for instance a burned-out taillight might look around.
They decieded that a "disguise" as contractors would be a good ruse.

Great story! When I drive around carrying I wear my hair in a ponytail, a local rental yard ball cap, and my Cable Guy tshirt(bought just to look like a good ole boy), usually anyway. But mainly I wanted to congradulate you on post #420 :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ya know, a guy driving around with a ponytail in the late 60's--early 70's would have gotten you stopped by the pigs in a heartbeat :cheesygrinsmiley: .

I remember an episode of COPS where the pigs stopped a car with 2 guys in a station wagon on an interstate where apparently a lot of drugs were transported.
The guys had a whole bunch of gift-wrapped packages in the back of their station wagon and said they were on their way to a party. But when seperated and asked where the party was and where they were coming from they gave conflicting answers.
The car was searched and of course the cops found that all the gift-wrapped packages were full of weed.
They went to the time and trouble of disguising their weed but didn't spend a minute of 2 getting their story's straight.
Stoner stupid.

I know a guy who drive to NorCal every year and picks up 3 or 4 lbs (personal use).
He puts it those big metal containers they sell cookies or popcorn in ad puts these in his trunk.
And drives the 800 miles back to his place--at 90 MPH on the I-5!
I asked why so fast and he told me that at 90 he's still passed by other cars and the 3 times he's been stopped over the years the cops just wrote him a ticket without incident.

Believe it or not, I've known people who have transported weed and smoked joints while driving which to me is insane.

RangerDanger said:
Ya know, a guy driving around with a ponytail in the late 60's--early 70's would have gotten you stopped by the pigs in a heartbeat

I drive a pickup with a shell and high bucket seats so unless they are along side me the ponytail is not seen. I guess I could put it under the hat but it always pulls. I also have disabled plates and I think that helps. Most cops are too lazy to fuck around with some cripple and don't know what they will have to deal with if they need me to get out. While still in cal I drove a '63' VW bus. I got pulled over all the time for supposedly weaving or some such bs. I never ever smoked in it, though I did carry small amounts. Never got searched but they did some serious peeking inside. I left it to my son. It sets in his driveway, lonely and never driven. I miss her. Met alota people because of her. People would come up to me in parking lots and tell me stories about things they did in them back in the day. We lived in Mariposa, a tourist town near Yosemite. Once someone waved us over, we figured they needed some help, but they were German tourists who wanted to take pictures with her.:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom