Study Finds Financial Gains Tied To Lifting Marijuana Ban

Cozmo

Up to $33 million in new state revenues and cost savings could be generated by a system of taxation and regulation to replace prohibition of marijuana in Hawaii, according to a study released today.

University of Hawaii West Oahu Economist Lawrence W. Boyd concludes that ending law enforcement control of marijuana distribution would save the $10 million spent by police and the courts each year to enforce existing marijuana laws. Instituting a system of taxes and regulations similar to that for alcoholic beverages would create both savings and new revenues of up to $23 million annually.

Boyd's analysis also shows that the $10 million spent in enforcement has failed to reduce the availability of marijuana in Hawaii. Moreover, marijuana prices have dropped, indicating efforts to restrict supply through law enforcement have failed. About 65 percent of marijuana cases are dismissed, not prosecuted, or stricken, making the risk of arrest or punishment for marijuana use low, according to the study.

The full study, sponsored by the Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, is available online at Drug Policy Forum of Hawai'i .

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii is a nonprofit organization founded in 1993 to encourage the development of effective drug policies that minimize economic, social and human costs, and to promote the consideration of pragmatic approaches to drug policy.

Source: The Honolulu Advertiser
Copyright: 2007 The Honolulu Advertiser

Oh goody, actual numbers from a single State.
I was just pondering Overhead and Revenue the other day.

And a Friend sent me more to ponder:
Feb 27, 2007 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: Marijuana Prisoners Cost Taxpayers $1 BILLION per year
Body: "If a great orator could catch this issue and run with it, the movement could attain a lot more legitimacy... after all, it took a great orator in Abraham Lincoln to finally see slavery upended. It's not the same thing here, but it's the same basic idea. People rally behind a cause if it's eloquently stated."

Back
Top Bottom