What About Pot

Truth Seeker

Eight years ago, a poll asking Hawai'i voters about their support for legalizing marijuana found that a majority opposed making marijuana legal in the state beyond the currently allowed medical uses. A recent survey commissioned by a drug policy nonprofit suggests that public opinion has shifted in the other direction.

This study, conducted by Honolulu polling firm QMark Research and commissioned by the Drug Policy Action Group, found that 57 percent of Hawai'i voters supported legalizing marijuana for personal use and sale, as long as it is regulated and taxed by the state. That figure represents a 20-point jump from the 37 percent who said that they supported marijuana legalization in 2005.

The survey also found that 69 percent of voters supported decriminalizing marijuana possession and use, a change that would make both punishable by a fine — similar to a parking ticket. Even more popular among respondents was the option of setting up regulated dispensaries that would allow current medical cannabis users access to the drug without having to grow it themselves.

PUBLIC SUPPORT

At a joint press conference last Thursday, DPAG and the Hawai'i Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union released the poll's findings. It also gave an updated version of a 2005 report that focused on possible new state revenue from the taxing of legalized marijuana as well as potential savings for law enforcement.

Although the jump in support for a change in Hawai'i's marijuana laws may seem sudden, DPAG President Pamela Lichty said the numbers typify growing nationwide support for legalization of the drug.

"It reflects what is going on around the country. ... The polls increase year by year," Lichty said.

Last November, voters in Colorado and Washington approved ballot initiatives that legalized personal use of marijuana for adults. In addition, some polls have indicated that national support for legalization may be as high as 58 percent. Lichty said these statistics — and now Hawai'i's — indicate that legal, regulated pot is becoming a viable and popular option for states, and referendums like those held in Colorado and Washington are helping to legitimize it.

In Hawai'i, public acceptance of legalizing pot has occurred despite additional scrutiny from law enforcement. While public support for the legalization of marijuana and use of the drug increased from 2005 to 2012, the number of arrests by police for pot use and distribution nearly doubled, according to the updated version of the 2005 study also released by the DPAG and the ACLU.

For Lichty, this finding was a particular surprise because it suggests that the legal status of and law enforcement action against the drug had no discernible impact on its use or support for its legalization.

MEDICAL USAGE

Another surprise for the DPAG President was the high percentage of voters who supported expanding the medical marijuana program and establishing dispensaries. Lichty said that few changes have been made to Hawai'i's medical marijuana program since it was approved by the State Legislature and implemented in 2000, and any expansion of the law would need to include a better distribution system for patients, especially those who cannot grow cannabis themselves or with the help of a caregiver.

"Right now, it's a crazy system," she said. "[It's] lacking, and [patients] still have to go to the black market."
While Lichty acknowledged that the future of Hawai'i's marijuana laws are uncertain, she noted that the poll's findings suggest that the State Legislature should reconsider several portions of the current law.

She said her group would like to see increased legal possession limits, which would make it possible for users to ingest the drug in edible forms that tend to be safer than smoking, along with additional measures to protect medical users' confidentiality.

INCREASING REVENUE

Although the legislature has not considered many major changes to Hawaii's marijuana laws in recent sessions, Lichty said the prospect of additional tax money from legal pot sales provides lawmakers an incentive to act.

"Everybody is worried about revenue today," Lichty said. "[Legalized marijuana] is a source of potential tax revenue. It's a right issue."

The revised economic report, which was updated by David Nixon, an associate professor at the University of Hawai'i's Public Policy Center, estimates that the state could realize an additional $11.3 million annually from legalized, regulated pot sales. The study also suggested that the State and County governments could collectively save $9 million a year by reducing marijuana possession and use to a violation.

Should the State consider changing its marijuana laws, Lichty said the survey "provides factual context" and data for any future debate. That kind of quantitative evidence, she said, is something that has been lacking in previous conversations about legalizing marijuana in Hawai'i.

What_About_Pot.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kaleo.org
Author: Alex Bitter
Contact: KA-LEO - Contact Us - Ka Leo (University of Hawaii): Site
Website: What about pot? - Ka Leo (University of Hawaii): News

Back
Top Bottom