Surge In Crime Involving Medical Marijuana In Denver

Truth Seeker

Statistics from the Denver Police Department show a 69% percent increase in overall crime at medical marijuana dispensaries, most notably a 75% increase in burglaries compared to this time last year.

That spike in crime could be explained by an increase in the number of places that sell medical marijuana.

9NEWS partners at the Denver Post report 1 in 41 people in Denver are registered medical marijuana patients.

The number of places licensed to sell marijuana products has reached 400 in Denver,and include more than the 375 Starbucks coffee stops statewide, according to the Post.

Marijuana dispensaries are among many types of business that attract crime, including stores and banks.

A recent incident involving a licensed medical marijuana provider who was shot and killed in his home has several neighbors worried.
Richard Nack was shot and killed at his home in the 5000 block of West Alaska Place on May 26.

He had been growing marijuana for a couple of years, according to his longtime friends and neighbor Mike who asked 9NEWS to withhold his last name.

"Not very many people knew that he was in that business," Mike said.

At first, Nack's looks like any other house on his street, until you notice barbed wire and security cameras on the property.

"Having [medical marijuana] in his home, on his property, was something that shouldn't be done," Mike said.

Nack became a licensed medical marijuana provider when work as a trucker dried up.

"He couldn't maintain enough money to support his father and him," Mike said.

Mike was Nack's friend for more than 25 years but says he worried about this type of business in the neighborhood.

"I do think it's a target for crime," Mike said.

His fears came true on Saturday, May 26, just before 2 a.m.

"They were in the backyard. I guarantee you whoever did it knew exactly what they were after and knew where it was," Mike said.

Nack had a handgun and confronted the intruders.

"I heard the shots. It was like three small pops and then four large ones," Mike said,

When it was all over, Nack was dead.

"My experience with drugs is any time you have something like that involved you have a potential for serious problems to occur and people to get killed," Mike said.

There have been other recent incidents involving crime at medical marijuana dispensaries.

On May 15, four men broke into the Riverside Wellness medical marijuana dispensary at the 3700 block of Chestnut Place. The suspects made it out with only $8 dollars from a tip jar, a small marijuana container, and a broken scale.

On April 17, authorities investigated arson at The Green Door at the 150 block of South Federal. Officials say some type of accelerant was thrown on the roof of the building.

Mike thinks, due to the risk if crime, licensed marijuana grow operations don't belong in residential areas.

"I'm afraid for my family. I worry about my family. I do believe that that type of stuff in a residential neighborhood puts everybody at risk," Mike said.

He has already lost his good friend to murder.

"Tragic. That's the simple word. Tragic," Mike said.

Anyone with information regarding the murder of Richard Nack is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867). The tip line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Callers can remain anonymous and a correct tip can result in a $2,000 reward

marijuana_42.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: 9news.com
Author: Will Ripley
Contact: 9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Contact Us
Website: Surge in crime involving medical marijuana in Denver | 9news.com

Back
Top Bottom