Switching lights?

albundy4tds

Hi all
single plant under 2 40 watt cool white tubes,(all I had at the time) approx 2 months old, 18 inches tall.
No sex showing yet, New 400 watt mh/hps arrives tomorrow.
Should I stay at 18/6 with new light for a few days to let the plant get used to the new light,or go straight to 12/12.
I'm keeping fingers crossed it's female, If not, still a good learning
exsperiance.
Big this board, Thanks for the help.:cool:

Re: Switching lights ?

What light are you switching to, an HPS? Also, what are you using now for a light schedule? You can go from 18/6 to 12/12 with no transistion but you might want to use 18/6 with your new light for a while just to get used to how it works (how wide of coverage, how hot it gets, optimal height away from the tops) before switching to 12/12 and inducing the flowering cycle.

The plants won't show signs of sex until you change the light cycle to 12/12 light/dark cycle so if your on more hours of light per day than that the plants would not have shown sex yet anyway.

I was thinking mh for a few days to see how it reacts to the stronger light, then switch to hps to start flowering. started at 19/3, switched to 18/6 a week ago.
do most growers force the sex early in veg state to find the males.
your opinion is well recieved, thanks

Most indoor growers tend to start flowering when tthey reach a certain height. This height is determined by how tall you want your plants to be. At 18 inches and you were to flower now, you can expect the plant to at least double in height so expect your plants to be 46 inches or higher. Some strains can and will triple and height so knowing what your growing helps too.

Most indoor growers tend to start flowering when tthey reach a certain height. This height is determined by how tall you want your plants to be. At 18 inches and you were to flower now, you can expect the plant to at least double in height so expect your plants to be 46 inches or higher. Some strains can and will triple and height so knowing what your growing helps too.

Thanks Urdedpal.
strain is unknown,just some bean that had been in a baggie for a couple years. Switched to 12/12 a day ago,will see what happens.
lucky me, found a fox farm supplier 15 min away, gonna pick up thier nutes and soil tomorrow.
ph soil and water testers are in the mail, Will then head to a nursery for some ph control talk and hopefully they will have what I need for up or down ph.
I,m doing the ph quick because of yellow flakes on top leaves and do not see spider mites. talk some more later, thank again.

Back
Top Bottom