Tackling Marijuana Myths

Ron Strider

Last November, seven states legalized marijuana either for recreational use or for medical use. This brings the grand total of states that have legalized marijuana to 26, and at least 14 others have taken steps to legalize it in some way. It seems like legalizing marijuana is becoming more popular, but a Gallup poll shows 40 percent of Americans do not believe it should be legal.

Many have arrived at this opinion without conducting research to back-up their arguments. As a result, many repeated arguments can be debunked through a simple Google search. The following outlines five main arguments against marijuana and why they are wrong.

5. It is illegal for a reason

This is true, but the reason why it is illegal is ridiculous. After the case of Victor Licata, who claims that he was under the influence of marijuana when he murdered his entire family with an ax in 1933, many politicians used his crime to pass the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. This eventually led to the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, which effectively made marijuana illegal on the federal level.

The issue with this argument is that insanity is not one of the effects of marijuana. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a prominent chemical compound found in marijuana, is known for decreasing reaction time. The 1951 propaganda film "Reefer Madness" claims that marijuana users experience high bursts of energy that lead to high levels of aggression. In reality, the only way a person feeling the effects of THC will ever be aggressive is if someone takes away their munchies.

4. Other ways to experience marijuana's effects

Synthetic marijuana was conceived as a loophole, a legal way to duplicate THC by creating a brand-new chemical that simulated its effects. The problem is that the effects of the synthetic chemical are over ten times stronger than THC, causing unpredictable health effects to the body.

In the early 2010s, researchers discovered that synthetic marijuana was linked to delirium, confusion, agitation and violent behavior. This led to the death of David Mitchell Rozga, who shot himself in the head with a hunting rifle. It was later reported by his friends that he smoked synthetic marijuana about an hour before he committed suicide. Soon afterwards, the Synthetic Drug Abuse Prevention Act of 2012 was passed, effectively banning synthetic marijuana.

3. Marijuana is addictive

Marijuana can be addictive and withdrawal symptoms can range from loss of appetite to increased anxiety. Researchers at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) have also shown that those who are under 21 have a higher chance of becoming addicted, hence laws that have made marijuana legal in some states have restricted usage to people who are 21 or older.

However, researchers have also shown that marijuana users are more likely to become addicted to other drugs like nicotine and alcohol — those who do get addicted to nicotine are usually chain smokers, who only account for nine percent of adults who use it. If that is the case, then why are alcohol and tobacco legal?

2. Marijuana is a 'gateway drug'

The gateway drug hypothesis states that taking seemingly harmless drugs can lead the user to use other drugs. Gateway drugs do exist, but, according to NIDA, marijuana is not one of them.

Many studies have shown that those who use drugs were addicted to other drugs that are chemically similar. An example of this, in recent years, is the connection between heroin abuse and addiction to prescription painkillers. Many who abuse one abuse the other, as the two are chemically similar.

Marijuana, on the other hand, does not give the user enough of a reason to move to harder drugs, because it is not as addictive as prescription painkillers and, other than the illegal synthetic marijuana, there are no other drugs that mimic the effects of THC.

1. Those who want to legalize marijuana just want to smoke it without any problems

I am for the legalization of marijuana for recreational use, but I would never use it. It is for the same reason I avoid smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol; I don't want to put that stuff in my body. But even though I do not have any desire to use it, I still think others should be able to if they choose.

The reason why over 60 percent of Americans believe that marijuana should be legal is because all the reasons why it should be illegal do not add up. Alcohol and prescription painkillers are shown to be worse than marijuana, despite being 100 percent legal. Because this is a scientific truth, we now have to choose between two options. Either we ban these two drugs as well, or we legalize marijuana on a state and federal level.

Bud21.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Tackling marijuana myths | Opinion | manoanow.org
Author: David Bubbins
Photo Credit: Bobdoran

Back
Top Bottom