Taking plants from inside to outside

Dipez

I am wondering if the outdoor light cycle will make my plants flower. I have them on 18/6 currently and outdoors it will be for sure shorter days. I'm just worried that my plants might see the light change and start to flower before its actually time.

I have heard of using a light on at night to make your plants not flower but is that going to stress the plant? If not that is probably what I will end up doing.

Any info on the subject would be helpful.

Are you trying to flower?? If not keep em indoors on 18/6.

Why would I keep them inside if these plants are for the outside grow this year.. Keeping them inside for vegging through the whole summer n tossing them outside doesn't make much sense either anyways. My plants are already 3ft tall n bushy. Keeping them inside for a lot longer wouldn't do much good for them. They need more room. Not to mention the 5gal pot is already root bound after about 1.5 months.

the change from 18/6 to outside sun hours is drastic. the LONGEST day around here is only 14.5hours and that isn't for another 2 or 3 months. Right now its barely maybe 11 hours of light.

Also another thing id like to clear up.. I want my plants to veg outside too. not just toss em for flowering. I could just throw them outside now and end up with a mid summer harvest. But I would prefer to get my plants vegged longer. I don't think they are ready to flower outside yet.

heres a shot of the 4 plants I want to veg outside still.
S7301088.JPG

They are clones that are on 1month n 2 weeks of veg since I got em.

If they are already 3 ft tall, put them outside and let them do their thing naturally. What you absolutely can't do is use different sources of light at the same time over and over again.. Meaning either inside, or outside. No mixing artificial light with real light. It will hermie for sure it's happened to guys on these forums who sit their plants in the window for just a few hours a day! If their 3 ft tall now, they should skyrocket once you put them in the sun, with shorter light periods.. If they begin to flower, so what!!!! You can't stop nature from running its course. Good luck!

I have never heard of switching from more light to less light casusing hermied plants. Maybe when the plant is 2 small to handle the light the sun puts out. I have been putting my plants outside for 3-5 hours a day to get them hardened off the the outdoor temps n light. Also I would much prefer to not have my plants flower now. That will make my harvest much smaller. With limitations on the number plants here I have to maximize my harvest with every plant grew.

N keeping them inside is not an option. those 4 plants are already taking up most of my closet. Imagine if I flowered them. They are already 2 big to flower inside. Last time I flowered at about 16-18" and ended up with my light at the highest setting. It's already 1ft away from being maxed out now.

I am most likely just going to toss em outside in the next few days and adding artificial light at night to keep them in veg. 1212 is doing something very similar inside called the GLR which is 12on 5.5off 1on 5.5 off. I also have read this is a common way to keep plants in veg in a grow book I have. It says something about a quick pass of bright light is all you need to keep plants in veg.

I was hoping somebody would know if that stresses plants or not.

... sigh. You don't have to be that way.

Just trying to say that I've never seen somebody with the same opinion as that. Maybe if u could link to some info supporting the Hermie thing or that mixing artificial light n sun is bad. I've actually seen green houses that have HPS in them on while its still day time. I couldn't imagine that being bad at all. And I've heard of tons of people putting plants outside for an couple hours every day to harden them off. Never heard of that being the cause of Hermied plants.

Hopefully u can understand :allgood:

Im not trying to be rude or mean at all in any way! I'm sorry if I came off that way man. Ive only seen one person on these forums talk about moving from outside to inside on a daily basis. It was actually recently in the grow journals. His plant hermied, and he claimed it was from moving it in and he found other ppl on other forums that had the same issue.. I guess I just assumed he was right, but it's certainly possible the plant could have Hermied for other reasons. I think a good grower is one who isn't afraid to try new things, or things that aren't normally done. So I say try whatever you want, and let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Well actually I am going to keep hardening off my plants. Its a real thing that a ton of people do. Maybe if your plant is a seedling and you are going from florescent to sun it can hermie the plant but I seriously doubt hardening off plants this size will hermie them. They don't show any signs of shock when tossed outside.

You really shouldn't claim you know something as FACT when it definitely is not. I've done this for 3 outdoor seasons now and haven't had any hermies.

420farmer: Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding. I honestly hear so many things that "cause" hermied plants that I don't believe most of em. I've heard everything from root bound to nutrient imbalance can cause hermied plants. From what I've seen random stresses can cause hermied plants but not to the extent people claim.

No need to get defensive. It's just a fact of the matter major environmental changes DO stress plants. THAT is a fact. Research it any way you want to. I'm not saying it causes hermies but environmental changes can cause major stress and maybe time for the plant to get adjusted to. That's all I'm saying.

I agree.. Think about it. Its gonna get way colder outside then it is whn its in ur closet. But i guess u could put her outside with a light at night if shes hardy. How cold does it get at night where u r?

I'm getting temps of 70/45-50 for the sunny days. When it rains it gets to 40s at night easily. Thing is my grow room is around 70-75(depending on where u measure temperature) and 60s at night.

I also have some seedlings already outside because they looked super tall and very little branching. Either males or bad females. But those ones are still growing fine. They aren't even turning purple from the cold.

Back
Top Bottom