Technique to cut off leaf tips in vegetative stage

OffTheRadar

420 Member
I'm hoping someone has seen or knows this technique as I have searched and searched for several years and cannot find the original tutorial I read. The file I saved at the time is gotten corrupted and is not retrievable.

The technique was to cut off all leaf tips (not the whole leaf) so the ends of leaf were blunt instead of pointed. Presumably, this let in more light. It also slightly camouflaged the plants in the garden as they didn't look like cannabis from a distance. The tutorial I saw had fabulous pictures to illustrate it, showing how quickly the leaves regenerated and it was time to cut the tips again. It certainly helped with overcrowding.

There is a similar technique when cloning that I've used since the year dot. It helps to keep the leaf tips from touching other clones and reduces the risk of rotting at the tip. I found that tutorial on a blog at dampkring.nl but that site isn't what it used to be and I couldn't even find the technique I had already (fortunately) saved and printed.

All my searches on the net and other forums have been futile as the keywords take me on a wild goose chase. I've searched images online to no avail. So am turning to the forum in a last ditch attempt to see if anyone else has heard of or seen this tutorial or, in fact, uses the technique.

Thanks for taking time to read. Grow well.
Namaste

Let's start with the clones...

The reason to clip the tips of the leaves on the clones is to minimize the loss of water through a process called "transpiration" until the cutting can root and uptake it's own water. Less foliage always means better circulation and will always help prevent mold, but the primary reason for clipping clones is to reduce transpiration.

As for grown plants, there are a number of ways of opening up more light to bud sites, including defoliation, leaf tucking, training, etc. Undoubtedly clipping the leaves would also open up some light and aid in circulation, but I have a hunch the primary reason this was done was simply for stealth.

There's no real technique needed. You can clip the leaves however you like. Snip the ends flat, cut them into smaller pointed tips - it really doesn't matter.

That being said, I would likely only do this if your primary objective was to disguise the garden since there are probably better ways to accomplish anything else that may be a "side benefit" of clipping the leaves.

:Namaste:

K

Thank you for replying Mr. Krip. Yes, the clones are for transpiration; I did know that and only added it in my description to distinguish what the leaves look like. I've asked on other forums and got lots of kind responses but they mistakenly thought I was pruning the leaves.

The technique I saw involved some form of LST because his plant got bushier and bushier. I also wasn't able to see any specific benefit to the plant except for ventilation and camouflage. I just wish I could find the original post/file. It was a very good tutorial with great images taken at good angles in good light. I just can't remember where I saw it which is probably a side-effect of having to be cloaked in stealth at all times. No history to retrace.

Still, thank you for your input. It's likely I'll restrict this to just the clones unless I grow outside again as it certainly is a great camouflage.

Namaste,
OTR
"there is no fertilizer greater than the gardener's own shadow"

Back
Top Bottom