The Huge Opportunity Of Canada's Budding Marijuana Market

Katelyn Baker

The federal health department released its highly-anticipated task force report on marijuana last month, providing clues as to what Canada's recreational cannabis laws will look like.

The report's recommendations are not binding, but it does help to illuminate the path ahead for the entrepreneurs who have entered the fledgling marijuana market in recent years. That includes players operating at varying levels of legality, from the 36 licenced producers responsible for growing and supplying medical marijuana, to scores of dispensary owners currently operating illegally in a number of Canadian cities.

"Producers should be excited that about what this means for expanding their business," says Trina Fraser, a lawyer with law firm BrazeauSeller who has counseled clients applying to be medical marijuana licenced producers. "We need to be able to produce [and sell] these products in such a way that competes with the illicit market," she says, adding that she finds the report encouraging in that regard.

In terms of business opportunities in the market, the task force doesn't explicitly state who will and will not be able to produce and sell cannabis. It does, however, suggest that production will likely continue to be regulated by the federal government, which requires all aspiring producers to go through a strict application process. The provinces and territories, meanwhile, will be responsible for retail and wholesale distribution, and will determine whether the distribution portion of the supply chain will be government-controlled or licenced to private sellers.

But the task force made clear the intention is to foster an industry where small-scale "craft" or "artisanal" producers are able to participate (including individuals who can grow a maximum of four plants for personal use) among larger players. It recommends taking steps to avoid "the development of monopolies or large conglomerates."

While this wording is vague, it gives Mark Carnevale, co-owner of Bellwoods Dispensary in Toronto, hope that the dispensary model may be legitimized through legalization. The suggestion that marijuana will not be sold through existing government-run liquor retailers or any place where tobacco is sold likewise suggests that there's some opportunity in retail storefronts.

"By eliminating an LCBO model and eliminating a convenience store model, I think the logical step is to embrace the dispensary model," says Carnevale. "Especially if you have dispensaries that operate as boutique outlets. I think there are consumers looking for good quality, specialty products rather than just your generic run-of-the-mill weed."

That's a hunch that Alan Gertner shares. It's the reason he created Tokyo Smoke, which he's positioning as a luxury marijunana brand. Gertner, who left a job with Google to start the Toronto company two years ago, was, like Carnevale and hundreds of others, attracted to the industry for its potential.

"We believe that in the marijuana market, there will continue to be stratification," says Gertner. "There are many consumers searching for a home; for a reliable brand that delivers high quality product." Unlike dispensaries, however, Tokyo Smoke now operates legally–it sells high-end cannabis paraphernalia, but not yet the drug itself. Instead, the company teamed up with existing licenced producers–one in Canada starting in 2017, and two others, in Washington State and Colorado–to market their product (for medical or recreational use, depending on the jurisdiction) under the Tokyo Smoke brand.

While Gertner says the option to sell cannabis from his shops would be nice, it isn't crucial for his business model. "If we're lucky enough to be able to sell in certain markets, we will do that," he says. "If it remains the case that our stores are showrooms and we can sell through a government store, that's OK with me as well."

Whatever the retail model ends up being, distributors will have to apply for a special licence to participate. And while retail may eventually look similar to the dispensaries of today, Ronan Levy is doubtful that the ones operating now will easily become licenced. "I think it would be inappropriate from a policy or legal perspective to give these people who have been operating outside of the law to a head start in a retail market. That's not the kind of behaviour you reward through governments," says Levy, a lawyer and an executive director of Canadian Cannabis Clinics. "Dispensaries that exist right now, while they'll be entitled to seek approval to becomes a true dispensary under a legal market, I think a lot of them will be disqualified by virtue of the fact that they won't necessarily meet the regulatory requirements I presume the government is going to bring forth."

The need to meet robust licencing requirements (often a multi-million dollar process) is something the government will have to weigh against its intention to carve out a space for boutique cannabis production and retail–something the task force vice-chair Anne McLellan noted as a point of concern for a number of advisors to the report, particularly in light of major consolidations among licensed producers. Early this month, Canopy Growth Corp., the largest legal marijuana producer in the Canadian market, announced it was buying competitor Mettrum for $430 million. Separately, the two companies have already gobbled up a number of smaller players in the industry, and together they control nearly half of Canada's medical marijuana market. Soon, presumably, they will control a large portion of its recreational market, too. Canopy's stock jumped 7.9% on Tuesday, suggesting investors aren't concerned that craft cannabis will threaten its market share. "This report is good news for Canadians and in our view provides a strong policy framework for the government to consider," Canopy CEO Bruce Linton said in a statement.

More than 80 recommendations for regulation are outlined in the report. And the federal government says Canadians can expect a legal recreational market by early 2019. "There's huge opportunity here, and I think everybody deserves a piece of this, provided that we all play by the same set of rules," says Carnevale.

LarsHagberg3.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The Huge Opportunity Of Canada's Budding Marijuana Market
Author: Catherine McIntyre
Photo Credit: Lars Hagberg

I am a Canadian medicianl user and i sure as heck do not agree when cannabis becomes recreational that users can grow 4 plants at home.

Why i disagree is that would mean a possible huge spike in house fires for newbies growing and for some not so newbies growing in bad house wired conditions.

The other major reason is medicinal users who can (by licenced to do so only) can grow their own cannabis and their will be limitations on storage amount for medicinal usersbut none for recreational, if thats the case then why have medicinal period.

So what determines medicinal vs non medicial = any strain that is HIGH CBD is pure medicinal and in some cases THC is medicinal depending on the usage required for the patient.

Now that being said Non Medicinal or Recreational is usually all HIGH THC and no CBD.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I am a Canadian medicianl user and i sure as heck do not agree when cannabis becomes recreational that users can grow 4 plants at home.

Why i disagree is that would mean a possible huge spike in house fires for newbies growing and for some not so newbies growing in bad house wired conditions.

The other major reason is medicinal users who can (by licenced to do so only) can grow their own cannabis and their will be limitations on storage amount for medicinal usersbut none for recreational, if thats the case then why have medicinal period.

So what determines medicinal vs non medicial = any strain that is HIGH CBD is pure medicinal and in some cases THC is medicinal depending on the usage required for the patient.

Now that being said Non Medicinal or Recreational is usually all HIGH THC and no CBD.

House fires. That is your argument against legal marijuana. House fires.
Will I at least be able to keep my candles in your world?

For the rest, if it is legal, what difference does it make?

House fires. That is your argument against legal marijuana. House fires.
Will I at least be able to keep my candles in your world?

For the rest, if it is legal, what difference does it make?
I am not against leagalization only against recreational users to grow their own. House fires yes thats a huge concern as i do not want my place on fire due to an inexperienced person that loads up old wiring in a house or apartment like a Christmas Tree.

Also i am against recreational users growing their own will take away from LP's selling it to customers and thats millions of dollars.

I am against all dispensaries that are out right now and should never be licenced to sell ever cause they are practicing illegal cannabis selling this moment abd are trying to make a killing on Untested Cannabis that is grown illegally.

Soon or when it becomes legal to purchase in Canada just remember their will be an age limit, so growing your own for recreational i am against due to the cannabis could or most likely get into the hands of minors a lot easier.

Again, can I keep my candles or do I need to turn those in?

So who should have this magical ability to "grow"?
Will I be tall enough? Perhaps only vegetarians need apply.

Why are you so concerned about other people making money?
I am more concerned with keeping the money that I have.

Kind of sounds like you think you are fine using a plant the way you want,
but no one else should be able to use it the way they want.
Freedom for thee but not for me.

Again, can I keep my candles or do I need to turn those in?

So who should have this magical ability to "grow"?
Will I be tall enough? Perhaps only vegetarians need apply.

Why are you so concerned about other people making money?
I am more concerned with keeping the money that I have.

Kind of sounds like you think you are fine using a plant the way you want,
but no one else should be able to use it the way they want.
Freedom for thee but not for me.
Growing at Home Should Be Allowed For:

Medicinal Yes
Recreational No

It will be a way harder way as well to track recreational sales and supplies. This means (Oh Yeah we can grow 4 plants wow, how will anyone know if we grew 10 or 12 or 15 ) you see the issue?

So basically i have given just a few reasons but there is plenty more to not allow home grown for recreational when legallized.

You make it sound like no one is home growing right now.
Have you looked at the rest of this website?
Yeah illegal home grown for most on here, where as a few are licenced.

Its all about safety for the public and to keep it out of the hands of minors.

When it is legallized in Canada i am willing to bet they will allow a home grow in some provinces, but not all.

I just having my opinion is all.

I will no longer give it on this matter as i have already explained my views a few times.

Safety is an issue and as for minors there will be stricter laws made for anyone who breaks it after legalization is made.

You can keep your candles only if your safely using them in a safe environment that does not affect other individuals or minors.

Its probably best to wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom