The light question..

tronix

I keep reading people asking what type of light to get so I figure I'll do the duty and break it down for you.

To get you started, some 100 watt flouros will work for seedlings, but beyond that they dont work at all. You'll get long spindly, branch filled bud and not much of it.
so once you get beyond seedling you'll need to upgrade to:

If you have a very small space ( a closet ) you need to consider temps above all else. You dont want your house to burn down. I recomend a 430 watt HPS with Son-agro bulb. I have this particular setup and it works phenominal in a closet.And you dont need any other light this one does it all. And the light operates signifigantly cooler and cheaper than a standard 400watt HPS.

If you have a large closet, or similar sized space, you can save some bucks and get a 400 watt HPS with standard bulb..remember you may need to get a second MH light for the bloom phaze as you need a blue spectrum light.. and the standard 400 watt HPS doesn't provide any blue spectrum.

If you have a room sized area..consider a couple of the 400 watt light (or 430 watt Son-agro) on what they call light movers, which comes down to a moterized arm that rotates the lights slowly so all plants get the same amount of light.

A large room could use the same set up with 1000watt lights.

there is no cheap way to buy a good light. If you are that tight on money find a store that is closed and being demolished. Look around for the wall pack lights they use to illuminate the store walls..see if you can find some HPS lights. odds are they will be scraped with the rest of the building and if you ask the site electrician he will probably let you have them for free. They aren't ideal, but they will work and cost you next to nothing., save your pennies and do this right, because it is likely the most important peice of equipment you own for your plants.

very important info for a new grower like myself. thanks this is the kind for threads that all of us could us once again THANKS:allgood: :allgood: :adore:

tronix said:
If you have a large closet, or similar sized space, you can save some bucks and get a 400 watt HPS with standard bulb..remember you may need to get a second MH light for the bloom phaze as you need a blue spectrum light.. and the standard 400 watt HPS doesn't provide any blue spectrum.
^^Lets correct this to read "for the veg phaze"^^

The light is really the most important thing. I really suggest doing it right and saving your money to get a good light setup. I don't have lots of money at the moment, but when flowering time comes I'm buying my HPS no matter what.

yeah thats backward, red spectrum is for flowering blue is for veg. during your flowering stage stick with red spectrum do not add any blue, the red has a scarce ammount which is sufficiant.

High pressure sodium lights are best to be used during the flowering stage because they put out more red, orange and yellow light in the color spectrum. HPS lights still have blue in the spectrum just not as much as a Metal Halide light or Cool White Fluros which are best used during the veg stage. What Im trying to say is that you can buy HPS bulbs that have more blues in the spectrum and they work great for both stages of growth. There are many differnt types of bulbs, for example one may have 50,000 lumens while another has 56,000 lumens and again some bulbs put out more yellow light, red or orange but they all have blues, reds, yellows etc. the color that is apparent is just more in that end of the color spectrum. Hope this info helped. Peace :smokin3:

Back
Top Bottom