The Medical Marijuana Patch Is Providing Discreet Relief For Many

Jacob Redmond

Forget smoking marijuana or eating pot edibles, you won't even notice the newest way people are getting high.

Even though the patch on his wrist may look like something familiar, Allen Tonkin isn't trying to quit smoking.

"People think it's a nicotine patch or something," said Tonkin with a smile.

In fact, instead of nicotine, the two-by-two square on his wrist is delivering THC.

"I've been using medical marijuana for about the past 11 years," said Tonkin.

Ever since a skydiving accident broke his back, Tonkin's pain reliever of choice is weed, but smoking breaks at work have proven problematic.

"I really don't like smelling like marijuana around my customers, so this allows me a way to be more discreet about being able to take my medicine, and it lasts all day," he said.

For almost two years, Denver-based Mary's Medicinals has been making a transdermal marijuana patch, touted as a fast, effective way to address medical issues.

Unlike smoking marijuana, which takes effect quickly but wears off within a couple of hours, or eating edibles, which may take some time to go into effect, "The patch goes into effect in about ten to fifteen minutes and can last up to 12 hours," said CEO Nicole Smith.

Giving a tour, Smith showed that the scientists there start with cannabis, extract the oil and isolate certain cannabinoids, such as CBD or THC.

The proprietary product is then spread onto sheets -- and the newest way to get high is made. The company makes six different patches, most of which do not contain THC, the chemical that gives the feeling of being high.

"Eighty percent of our products don't have psychoactive effects," said Smith. "They're being used to treat everything from epilepsy to chronic pain to insomnia."

But is there science behind the "medicinals?"

"It's something we continue to strive towards," said Smith, adding that the company is starting its own clinical trials and launching an app so users can journal about their experiences.

The patches are not regulated by the FDA, Smith said, because Mary's is a nutraceutical company, in the same category as the makers of vitamins and nutritional supplements.

For people like Tonkin, though, the proof is in being pain-free with a simple patch.

"It's just been a lifesaver, it's been night and day," he said.

The only side effect, he said, is that sometimes he's a little tired -- and he gets the munchies.

42156.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: A Pot Skin Patch: The Newest Way To Get High? - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com
Author: Jaclyn Allen
Photo Credit: Angela Bacca
Website: 7NEWS Denver | Denver and Colorado breaking news, weather, traffic and sports | The Denver Channel | KMGH-TV

Back
Top Bottom