Time To End Prohibition On Pot: Callers

MedicalNeed

Canadians are mellowing to the idea of legalizing marijuana and Sudburians are no different, The Sudbury Star’s weekly poll shows.

The Star’s poll question last week was: “Should the government of Canada legalize and tax marijuana?” Though a technical glitch prevented the poll from appearing on The Sudbury Star’s web-site, all but one of the 11 callers to The Star’s hotline — 674-STAR ( 7827 ) — agreed it’s time to end the prohibition on pot.

Several national polls since 2003 have found a majority of Canadians agree with legalizing the use of marijuana. The latest was a 2009 Angus Reid poll showing 53% of Canadians favoured legalization.

Superior and appellate courts in Ontario have repeatedly declared Canada’s marijuana laws to be of no force and effect. However, challenges to marijuana laws at the federal level have not compelled the federal government to change laws and police and prosecution services across Canada continue to pursue criminal charges for marijuana possession.

Sudburians, however, say it’s time to back off criminalizing pot possession.

“Yes, I think our jails and our law enforcement officials are too busy dealing with this,” one caller said. “Those resources should be focused on other crimes.”

“Yes, if the Canadian government wants to get out of deficit, it should” legalize and tax marijuana, another caller said.

“Yes, I think the government needs the money,” another said.

Another caller agreed with the rest, but said Canadians are already overtaxed, especially for vices.

“I don’t believe marijuana should be legalized and taxed, because it just shouldn’t be taxed,” one caller said. “Legalize the stuff, but don’t tax it. We already pay income tax and sales tax on everything we buy. We should consider getting rid of the tertiary sin tax that we apply to every sort of perceived vice. That would relieve a lot stress on people.”

One caller said the laws are fine as they are.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Sudbury Star - Ontario, CA
Author: Posted By STAR STAFF
Contact: Letter To The Editor - The Sudbury Star - Ontario, CA
Copyright: 2010 Osprey Media
Website:Time to end prohibition on pot: callers - The Sudbury Star - Ontario, CA

Back
Top Bottom