Tips for keeping the bugs out

I thought I'd share the things I do to keep my grow room "bug-free".

If you grow long enough, you'll encounter bugs at some point. "But I grow in Hydro!!" I used to say. Unfortunately, even hydro grows are not immune to bugs.

Everyone has to figure out their own plan for keeping bugs out and decide where to draw the line when it comes to things like pesticides. Before using some of the things I describe below, make sure you understand the relevant warnings and are comfortable with it's usage.

That said, here are the steps I take to keep bugs out of my grow room:

• I spray the perimeter of the grow room periodically with "Home Defense Max", which does seem to create a barrier they don't like to cross, at least on the ground.

• I also put a "mosquito dunk" in my water reservoirs. These are non-toxic and safe for birds, fish, plants, people, pets, etc. However, it kills fungus gnat larvae, and will eventually wipe them out. Fungus gnats are probably the most common pest most growers face.

• I keep a Hot Shot "No Pests" strip in the grow room. It releases and odorless vapor that bugs hate. It's supposed to be safe for humans as long as you aren't in the room for more than 3 hours a day. I've heard that it's especially good at keeping spider mites away, and I can say that I never find live bugs in the grow room since starting to use it, but I've found dead ones near it.

• I use Silica as an additive with my nutrients. It makes plants sturdier, more resistant to heat, and bugs hate it. I also use a product called "Zone" by Dutch Masters. It's primarily a fungicide, but it's also supposed to discourage pests to some degree.

• Make sure there is no standing water exposed... anywhere. Consider pooring bleach down any nearby drains when you are treating/spraying for bugs. Fungus gnats, for example, can breed in a thimble-full of water. Don't over-water plants or leave standing water in your plants or run-off trays. Again, mosquito dunks in any water reservoirs.

• Lastly, on my last grow I used Sierra Natural Sciences "SNS 209" as part of my nutrient program for a few weeks. It contains natural plant oils, and it's supposed to make the plants start to be unappealing to pests - you're giving them another tool to defend themselves with. (I'm skipping it this round, as I appear to have pests controlled at the moment).

Important note: I owe a good part of this preventative knowledge to other growers here. Mr Smith (mosquito dunks, bleach in drains, no pest strips), Bassman (Home Defense Max) and Jandre2k3 (Diatemaceous earth), just to name a few. They may be good sources for questions on bug battling too - it happens if you grow long enough. Even if you are really careful, and yes - even if you grow in hydro!

What do you think about the product AzaMax?Have you ever used for fungus Gnats?Im growing in soil and aquired them.Plants are hating it.

Azamax is great stuff, and it's natural/organic to boot. Also, very effective if you've already got bugs. SNS 203, from sponsor Sierra Natural Sciences is also good, and both products use natural plant oils that bugs/pests hate.

For fungus gnats, see my tip above regarding "mosquito dunks". Mosquito dunks (BT) in watering/nutrient reservoirs will cause fungus gnats to immediately stop eating, and eventually starve to death. The beauty of these, is that even if you see them after starting with dunks, they won't be eating. So, even their presence is less threatening at that point, since they can't eat!

I keep the water I use for nutrients and general watering in a reservoir. I place 1/2 of a mosquito dunk (looks like a little donut, kind of) in a clean sock and let it float on top of my reservoir (the sock keeps particles out of your reservoir). The active ingredient a human/pet/plant safe bacteria known as "BT" (Bacillus Thuringiensus ) gets into the water. Harmless to all but select bugs like mosquitos, and more importantly for us, fungus gnats.

Other things to consider: Fungus gnats are attracted to... you guessed it... fungus. Often, if you have them, you also have a fungus of some sort, which you may consider treating for as well. Fungus gnats also spread it (bastards!). Over-wet soil or organic material is like a magnet for them. Be sure not to over-water your plants, and let the soil dry to the point that your pots feel "light" when you lift them.

One thing I do that helps? I put hydroton clay balls on top of organic material like soil. When you water, the clay balls dry faster than soil, and you know have a surface that's dry, and not organic material, that's less attractive to them. The clay balls also limit watering "dents" and help keep the top of your soil from drying out "too fast". Win, win, win. It doesn't need to be clay balls, but they work for me.

Don't leave anything wet, or exposed water around, as fungus gnats can breed in a thimble full of water (this has been proven).

:goodluck:

Used google and this popped up. Thanks!

Hope it helps, Strickly, let me know if I can shed any more light on anything in my anti-bug routine. :)

Nice write up X.

A good article with a focus on prevention was lacking. This fills that void nicely. I do some of these things, but I may go ahead and add the other measures as well.

As we learned in my WoFR training (Wilderness First Responder), "Can't hurt, might help", so why not? :)

Nice write up X.

A good article with a focus on prevention was lacking. This fills that void nicely. I do some of these things, but I may go ahead and add the other measures as well.

As we learned in my WoFR training (Wilderness First Responder), "Can't hurt, might help", so why not? :)

Thanks Hiker - appreciate the feedback! :thanks:

It can really make life easier taking sound preventative measures. If you don't... it's not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when". Nobody is immune, unless they are very strict about prevention. I say this in part because, I keep a very clean and tidy grow space, always - yet it just takes a straggler bug picked up from a pet or a trip outdoors, and that one bug can breed and the offspring breeds... and BOOM they're everywhere.

They can really make life miserable, and even be hard to detect or know that you have them. Sometimes they create issues that mask as magnesium deficiency or other deficiencies, and you are chasing your tail adding cal/mag, when the issue is "pests". Believe me, I've been there! I've seen grows where people are advising "give cal/mag!" but through hard-knocks experience I can say - "no, get rid of the aphids (or whatever bug)!". ;)

Back
Top Bottom