Toronto marijuana demonstration turns nasty

Roachclip

TORONTO -- A marijuana demonstration turned nasty yesterday when at least two people were detained during scuffles with city police at a park near the provincial legislature. The clash started after police -- accompanied by municipal bylaw officers and parks officials -- shut down a pro-pot rally when Toronto organizers failed to produce the necessary permits and insurance.

"The major issue is the fact that we couldn't get any insurance," said organizer Marko Ivancicevic.

"Basically, the last two years we've tried to get the (event) insurance but they keep denying us because it is a marijuana-based event."

Several hundred demonstrators were barred from accessing a rented stage and using any sound equipment, including microphones and speakers, pulling the plug on a scheduled concert by six pro-marijuana bands.

Tempers flared when a young male had his glasses smashed as he was restrained by officers after propping a protest sign reading, Legalize It and Weed My Lips, against a statue of King Edward.

"As far as I know, my friend was just standing there holding a sign and then next thing I know, the cops are putting him in the back of a paddy wagon," said Dan Adams.

"He didn't do anything."

A second protester, also holding a placard, tripped over a skateboard as he was put into a nearby cruiser, prompting jeers from the crowd.

No names were released but police later said there were no charges and those detained were quickly released.

Another demonstrator, Dominick Cramer -- who runs the non-profit Toronto Compassion Centre, which provides therapeutic marijuana to people who are sick -- was warned by police that he too could face arrest after he got into a shouting match with officers.

"This is ridiculous," Cramer said.

"The cops for some reason decided to get violent and threatening kids that were just holding a sign . . . He wasn't smoking up, he was just holding a sign."

But police spokesperson Sgt. Joseph Gataveckas said,"Like any protest, (officers are) there to keep the peace and to make sure that no one breaks the law," Gataveckas added.

There were no such problems at a similar demonstration by about 40 marijuana enthusiasts in Niagara Falls.

The London Free Press
2004-08-22
Copyright © The London Free Press 2001,2002,2003
London Free Press: Toronto marijuana demonstration turns nasty

Back
Top Bottom