transplanting to hydroponic system?

Dr.MeanGreen

Hello All, its been a great while since Ive posted on these forums but have always been an avid browser for information and everyones vast knowledge.

I have a situation and could use some advice from you guys.

So I'm finally starting my first hydroponics grow by the end of this week, 6 plants in all. Well, I have started 10 seedlings in soil in a different part of my grow room, and each is now measuring about 1-2 in after 1 week.
My question to you all is can i transplant 6 of these into rock wool cubes in my hydro system or will that kill the plants?? And if it is possible, could you please give as much detail as possible as how to do it correctly.

Thanks much:ganjamon:

Re: transplanting to hydroponic system??

VERY gently wash off the soil on the roots. Very gently split a rockwool cube in half and place the cube around the roots and stem of the seedling. Put the cube back together carefully and put something around it to keep it together. I use rubber bands but have used twist ties and even plastic strips cut from a bread bag and tied around the cubes. Anything that will alow it to hold the two halves together. Try not to break off any roots. Once the plants have rooted into the new cubes use as usual.

once i enclose the roots in the rockwool cube and secure with a rubber band, is it safe to put straight into the hydroton and get the pumps a goin'??

you could do a hybrid method with a net pot and a net bag from onions and pearlite very very gently put seedling and soil in a big bowl of water rinse almost all the soil away from the central core till you have a marble to pingpong ball sized core of soil with the seedling take a 2-4 inch square of onion bag netting and put a couple table spoons of pearlite on it put soil core with seedling on top of pearlite and drop into 2 inch net pot pulling gently on the netting to orient the seedling and put under cloning light or flouros with net pot in a dish that you can put 1/4- 1/2 inch water in to bottom water as long as the seedling in leaves up it will straighten out in a bit even if its crooked now i have done more damage to seedlings from straightening them up than from gentle transfers that tiny bit of soil core in the pearlite makes this hybrid by technical definition
but for all practical purposes its behavior will be hydro from then on out

using little plastic condiment / pudding holders etc if its about the size of a shot glass you can poke holes in it for drainage
[hot nail pliers and stove burner can make neat holes in most plastics without tearing it up] heat up the nail not the plastic!!!

you can fill these with sand and pearlite and use onion bag net, tissue paper toilet paper etc to wrap to make transfers easier to a larger hydro unit....

thanks for the info!
Another question Racefan, should I dampen the rockwool cubes before i put the plants inside them or should i secure the plant with the rubber band method, and then dampen? Thanks

Dampen? Have you ever used rockwool before? It needs to be pretreated before using.
Soak your rockwool in a 1/4 strength flowering nutes PH'd to 5.4 or 5.5 for 24 hours before use. This leaches out the alkaline properties and gives the roots something to feed from from the beginning.

sorry I havent before, first hydro grow and previous grows have been straight into the soil.

Thanks for the advice though!

sorry I havent before, first hydro grow and previous grows have been straight into the soil.

Thanks for the advice though!

Sorry I assumed you had experience. I would try it with one and judge results before committing all of your plants. Some people have trouble with certain grow segments. One friend couldn't clone if his life depended on it. It took him a lot of cuttings to figure this out.

So I transplanted the kids from the soil to the hydro setup, i decided to jus f using the rockwool and put them straight into the hydroton. so far they are fine after 3 days and all look healthy. i put in 1/3 dose of macro and 1/3 dose of nutes. how long should i wait before i flush the tank and add more nutes? (8 gallon tub, with 6 gallons of water)

I have encountered my first problem, out of the 5 plants, one of them has the tips of its leaves turning yellow and it appears to be very dried out... any suggestions??

Keep misting from above to keep plants hydrated...check your ppm's and ph. Hope all grows well

i cut the yellow leaves off with a razor blade and flushed 1 gallon of water out and replaced it with fresh (there is 6 gallons total), i figured this would dilute the nutrient solution some and hopefully no more burnt leaves...

Another quick Q, i have 6 tubes branching from the pump into each individual net pot... where should the end of the tube be located within the pot? Currently i have each tube reaching the surface of the hydroton or basicly the base of the plant, is this the correct location or should the tubes be ending in the middle of the net pot below the roots?? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom