U.S. Attorney Says Targeting Cannabis Ads Not A Priority

Jacob Bell

SAN DIEGO – U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy caused a stir when said federal authorities would start cracking down on newspapers that run ads for medical marijuana. She says that it is not a priority.

Duffy said her comments about cracking down on medical marijuana advertisements along with dispensaries have taken on a life of their own. She said the main priority for the U.S. Attorney's office is shutting down dispensaries it believes have become commercial enterprises.

Still, Duffy said the federal government is keeping an eye on the ads.

"While advertisers, those folks placing ads and running ads, are not the primary focus of our current enforcement activities," she said, "we are concerned about the nature and the extent of the advertisements we are seeing."

She said if the government's current actions aren't effective, it might pay more attention to advertisements.

The timing of the federal government's actions has raised questions.

Recently San Diego City Attorney Jan Goldsmith sent letters to 12 dispensaries telling them to shut down because they were too close to schools, a violation of state law. Duffy said the federal crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries in California has been coming for a while, but she said it was appropriate for her office to send similar letters to the same San Diego dispensaries.

"While I'm not working hand in hand with the City Attorney's Office and Jan Goldsmith specifically on those 12 dispensaries," she said, "I'm quite aware that those 12 were identified as problematic."

Duffy says other dispensaries believed to be operating as commercial enterprises will also be targeted for shutdown.

news4.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kpbs.org
Author: Katie Orr
Copyright: KPBS.org
Website: U.S. Attorney Says Targeting Pot Ads Not A Priority

Maybe they are backing off a little? I really hope the dispensaries in question are truly operating on a not-for-profit basis. A million dollar for-profit enterprise operating outside state law will not look good for all the other states trying to get MMJ legislation passed this upcoming year.

Budbro is correct, these dispensaries must get it right if this is going to work for all of us.....and that's what it boils down too...Just like us patients have to follow the law when it comes to our medicine the dispensaries have to do it as well.....let's get this right...for all of US...:peace::thanks:

Wow... this sounds so familier... where did I hear this before.... hmmmmm. can't put my finger on it..... oh wait... snap! Obummer said it when he was talking about MMJ.

He said... MMJ is not a priority and that federal funds would not be used in targeting MMJ. Yet we are right in the middle of an all out war on MMJ. If you believe they will not come after the the advertising industry... I have some beach front property in AZ to sell you.

Back
Top Bottom