U.S. Attorney Promises To Target Medical Cannabis Advertising

Jacob Bell

The Obama administration isn't just cracking down on individuals and organizations that sell medical marijuana. It's now threatening to go after publishers and broadcasters that run ads for pot dispensaries in a state where medical marijuana is legal.

Federal prosecutors are preparing to target newspapers, radio stations and other media outlets that advertise medical marijuana dispensaries in California, another escalation in the Obama administration's newly invigorated war against the state's pot industry.

This month, U.S. attorneys representing four districts in California announced that the government would single out landlords and property owners who rent buildings or land where dispensaries sell or cultivators grow marijuana. Now, newspapers and other media outlets could be next.

U.S. Attorney Laura E. Duffy, whose district includes Imperial and San Diego counties, said marijuana advertising is the next area she's "going to be moving onto as part of the enforcement efforts in Southern California." Duffy said she could not speak for the three other U.S. attorneys covering the state, but noted their efforts have been coordinated so far.

"I'm not just seeing print advertising," Duffy said in an interview with California Watch and KQED. "I'm actually hearing radio and seeing TV advertising. It's gone mainstream. Not only is it inappropriate — one has to wonder what kind of message we're sending to our children — it's against the law."

Of course, she means that it's against federal law. California voters approved the legalization of medical marijuana in 1996. The difference ought to matter; in 2008, President Obama promised that when it came to medical marijuana, he wouldn't interfere with local legalization. "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," he said. But as Senior Editor Jacob Sullum noted this morning, four U.S. attorneys in California announced last week that they would be stepping up enforcement against the state's medical pot distributors.

Duffy has apparently taken that as a license to go after publishers as well:

Duffy said she believes the law gives her the right to prosecute newspaper publishers or TV station owners.

"If I own a newspaper ... or I own a TV station, and I'm going to take in your money to place these ads, I'm the person who is placing these ads," Duffy said. "I am willing to read (the law) expansively and if a court wants to more narrowly define it, that would be up to the court."

Why the sudden burst of enforcement action? Has someone been hurt by the advertising, or by the dispensaries that buy ad space? Later in the article, Duffy allows that the law that legalized medical marijuana had "good intentions." But those good intensions, she tells California Watch, "have almost completely been taken over by people who are trying to use that permission law to get rich, to distribute marijuana and traffic drugs to people who aren't sick, to our youth and to people who are using drugs on a recreational basis." As Sullum noted, the focus on profit would seem to suggest that the recent crackdown won't apply to the state's many non-profit dispensaries. But that seems unlikely (at best) since although many of the state's pot clubs claim nonprofit status, federal prosecutors, according to the San Jose Mercury News, have "disputed that assertion, leaving unclear which outfits they might consider legitimate." What's most telling about Duffy's laundry list of non-horrors, though, is that altough she decries pot-seller profits and sales to recreational users, she doesn't even attempt to describe any actual harm caused by either. Perhaps that's because there is none.

linden.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: reason.com
Author: Peter Suderman
Copyright: Reason Magazine
Website: You Can't Say That on TV: U.S. Attorney Promises to Target Medical Marijuana Advertising

I guess it is not a joke that this is an all out war on MMJ. Alot of people have been saying that this is just a little hard ball... I think not. People... let us do our homework and vote for people who are best suited for the job and not the color of their skin.

Thanks.

From the VERY TOP to the VERY BOTTOM the Anti MMJ. forces are going to make a concerted effort to for once and for all shut down the MMJ. businesses in CA. We in the MMJ. movement need to get millions in donations first to help combat these actions before they take to much effect. If the owners of all the dispensaries in the State could meet together at some sort of summit to lay all there cards on the table and discuss what they as a collective group can do to fight back before it's too late. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO LET GREED get the better each other!!!!:thanks::thanks:. The general public needs to know what is happening. The freedom of speech and many other rights that we have fought and died for are in jeopardy and few no it. The climate right now is very similar to the red-commie witch hunts of the fifties and early sixties. We need to look back and remember how many innocent people had there lives-careers and families utterly destroyed by a Govt. controlled panic!!!! Lest we forget History has always found ways for better or worse to repeat itself. Lets stop it this time around!!!! :thumb::thumb: RD :peace::peace::peace::peace: PS: As California goes so goes the rest of the country.

I guess Oooo bumm erer lied. There is alot of Tax dollars left over from the federal government and the coffers to go after the MMJ industry. Glad to hear as I also heard people are cut off from unemployment benifits and the only one hiring is the MMJ industry.

Anyone seen any quotes from the President on this annoucement? Remember there are three branches to the Fed Gov't and he is just one. If this is something that he wasn't involved in, then he is not taking the opportunity to seperate himself from them. If this is in part his doing and if he is in favor of this, then he should still comment on it so we know where he stands. You are either for it or against it.

It was reported on Fox news an hour ago. Can't quote it verbatim but the reported said "The Obama administration has done a 180 on their policy from 2009 to start raids on dispensaries". He also said the president has not spoke on this issue but the conspiracy theory is that big pharma has a drug scheduled to hit the market in a couple of years and that may be the cause.

If that happens.. they will have the full backing of the goons with guns D E A and the Federal government like never seen before. This I guess is just a warm up but I feel we need to ready ourselves for a full on assult.

It was reported on Fox news an hour ago. Can't quote it verbatim but the reported said "The Obama administration has done a 180 on their policy from 2009 to start raids on dispensaries". He also said the president has not spoke on this issue but the conspiracy theory is that big pharma has a drug scheduled to hit the market in a couple of years and that may be the cause.

Not sure if Fox is the best place to get a fair and balanced picture of what is going on.

Not sure if Fox is the best place to get a fair and balanced picture of what is going on.
Lol, I know what you mean about fair and balanced. But if you want to find out something bad about Obama, you won't find it on CNN. I'm not party affiliated btw, I just want to figure out "why" he has flipped on this issue so abrubtly, in order to advocate against it.

LOL... well I am sure the AL sharpton show might shed some light...ahahahaha. Everyone gets on fox but when it is on the other side of the fence... the other news that view things accorrding to their political views will be right on I am sure. I guess it is all in how you see it.

We are in an election year, his admin has bombed in the publics eye. This is a last resort to get reelected. With these types of actions bringing down a robust industry that was voted by the people to be legal, the Obama admin will be doomed and regarded as the most pathetic least accomplishing admin in the history of the world. Thanks for nothing Barry!

We are in an election year, his admin has bombed in the publics eye. This is a last resort to get reelected. With these types of actions bringing down a robust industry that was voted by the people to be legal, the Obama admin will be doomed and regarded as the most pathetic least accomplishing admin in the history of the world. Thanks for nothing Barry!

He may rue the day. A lot of people in reliably Democrat states like California voted for MMJ back in '96, and they voted for Obama in '08. He could fail to carry California next year if enough residents are sufficiently disgusted as to stay home on election day. Until last week I believed that *any* Republican would automatically be a greater disaster in the area of drug policy, but not anymore.

I have the feeling that the majority of members on most MMJ web-sites are either to young or just don't remember how the public was manipulated by the Govt.. Whether through fear or just plain ignorance the Obama administration is pulling a complete 360 degree's over on the public. Who is the REAL POWER behind our country:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm: It sure isn't the voting public!!! Which power block is it??? Organized Religion, the IMF,maybe the IRS , Skull & Bones::; Only those CHOSEN FEW at the very top know for sure. It scares the hell out of me, that's for sure. RD :thanks::thanks: :peace::peace::peace::peace:

Back
Top Bottom