U.s. Not Ready To Puff The Magic Dragon

Founder
The mayor of Denver was highly disappointed with the passing of a new measure pertaining to marijuana. The measure instills new meaning into Mile High City.

The measure passed Tuesday with a 54 percent vote. It allows adults who are over the age of 21 to possess no more than one ounce of marijuana without being penalized in Denver. A few other cities have adopted similar measures. Simultaneously, 12 states have procedures that prevent criminal charges from being issued against someone in possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, but still issue fines.

News of such a measure brings about issues of legalizing marijuana in general. Denver should not have allowed such a measure to pass, even its mayor and the state of Colorado agree with that. The new procedure essentially stops people in Denver from being punished for carrying small amounts of marijuana. State law still allows for fines and speaks nothing to buying, selling or smoking the drug that has been known as a gateway drug to other addictive ones.

By passing such a procedure, the city of Denver may have gotten more than it bargained for. Then again, perhaps they really are attempting to become the next Amsterdam. If possession of marijuana becomes legal, what is to stop arguments of legalization of prostitution, heroin or any other illegal drugs?

In a country full of people who cannot even handle alcohol, legalizing marijuana is ludicrous. The United States arguably has some of the strictest laws pertaining to alcohol; however, drunken driving statistics are higher than those of most other countries, if not all.

What all of this boils down to is this: Making a vice more accessible, even legal, only ensures that it will become more harmful. Allowing people in one city to carry less than an ounce of marijuana literally removes the deterrence of carrying drugs in general. Not only that but a measure such as the one that has just passed in Denver, push the movement of legalizing marijuana in general.

That seriously could be the only reason something such as this has happened. In Telluride, Colo., the same measure as in Denver was narrowly turned down. It seems as though the purpose of introducing these procedures in localities that are so close to one another can only be to eventually challenge the state law itself.

The United States simply isn't ready for the legalization of marijuana. This country cannot handle the inhibitions that exist from alcohol, how can citizens expect to be able to handle marijuana? While it seems as though state law may trump the measures being taken in Denver, the overall effects of such things are the real problem. Legalizing possession in Denver pushes the movement towards general legalization in Colorado and basically paves the way for legalized marijuana all over the United States. Without a doubt the road the followers of this movement are headed on must be stopped.

Copyright: 2005 Collegiate Times
Website: collegiatetimes.com | An independent, student-run newspaper serving the Virginia Tech community since 1903

^^ While I dont exactly disagree with you Happytoker...The person that wrote all that probly well educated holds an above average paying job with even maybe above average inteligence. The only differece between him and us is that he learned what he believes very young and never questioned it. Its up to us to help these people discover the truth. Many many people really think all those bad wrong things because thats what the gov has been saying.....

The truely great thing is that more and more people are changing there minds and soon it will be legal in the states....

well i'm a well educated, have high paying job, and have above avg intellegence. not tooting my own horn...but it's the truth. and i can say that this guy is a moron. comparing the legalization of MJ to prostitution is "ludicrous". MJ is much less lethal than alcohol. MJ is no more of a gateway drug than alcohol. I can drive fine after blazing 5 blunts , can't say it's as easy on 5 mixed drinks.

It's finally nice to see that Denver got the ball rolling. It's only a matter of time now. The State and Fed govt's will get the point soon.

I mean it was made illegal back in 1937, and was enforced mostly to get the Immigrating mexican's deported. it was created back during a very conservative time, with very little research on it. I mean 1937 was years before they gave Elvis a hard time for shaking his pelvis too much on TV...Look at how much less conservative we are now? Lil' Kim showing up to awards shows with an enitre breast exposed...Christina Aguillerra's "Dirty" video, and Prince dance around stage with the ass cut out of his pants.

The US Gov't needs to shed this old fake idealogy that MJ should remain prohibited. I mean damn...out last 2 presidents have toked. Goes to show you that times have changed.

kylejones said:
it says in our country people cant even handle alchohal isnt that someshit./

FACT: one of every 14 Americans is an alcoholic.

The facts.. just the facts..:peace:

That is some sad shit.

Nocuous said:
^^ While I dont exactly disagree with you Happytoker...The person that wrote all that probly well educated holds an above average paying job with even maybe above average inteligence. The only differece between him and us is that he learned what he believes very young and never questioned it. Its up to us to help these people discover the truth. Many many people really think all those bad wrong things because thats what the gov has been saying.....

The truely great thing is that more and more people are changing there minds and soon it will be legal in the states....
He writes for his college I believe...
And his writing style is terrible.
EDIT: It's from "Online Edition Blacksburg, Virginia November 9th, 2005
An independent student-run newspaper serving the Virginia Tech community since 1903."
I don't give a damn what the hicks in Blacksburg have to say.

Facts are the harsher laws are on substances the harsher the abuse rate. the netherlands have less life time pot smokers per capita then the us. in germany where the drinking age is 16 there are less alcaholics per capita. people who are for their substance should suport legalization for freedom. people who are against should support for common sense & for "safety". its so blindingly obvious how it should be legal. anyone who asks themselves the question "could legalization be beneficial" seriously they all end up supporting.

with us or the writer of the article? lol, i dont think youll meet much oppostion here. but if its the author then hell fucking yea we want you to overwhelm him with cannibis facts & common sense. lol

Back
Top Bottom