U.S. - Pot Clinics Just Keep Growing

Hash

Calif. - In San Francisco, the legalized dope business is booming all over town.

Among the latest crop of "medical marijuana" dispensaries popping up:

-- The Happy Days Herbal Relief Center -- which is run by a former crack addict and ex-con.

-- The Holistic Center, which is set to have its grand opening this week on the ground floor of a city-backed welfare hotel that houses a number of recovering drug addicts.

-- And a new pot club planned for 1945 Ocean Ave. out in the working- class Ingleside -- just across the street from a competing dope dispensary.

It's the third pot club on the street -- all within four blocks of each other.

And many of the neighbors aren't happy.

"There are 44 McDonald's in all of Manhattan -- more than any location in the world -- and we have 37 marijuana dispensaries in San Francisco,'' fumes Dogpatch Neighborhood Association President Susan Eslick, who just learned of plans for a new dope dealership down the street from her, at the corner of Third and 20th streets.

"If these are for health,'' Eslick added, "then we must have a huge epidemic.''

From what we're told, much of the surge can be traced to Oakland's decision to put a moratorium on clubs.

"They're all here because Jerry Brown threw them out of Oakland,'' police Capt. Tim Hettrich says bluntly.

Indeed, when the Oakland City Council capped the number of clubs last year at four -- putting most of the city's dozen or so unregulated pot joints out of business -- the activity surged on the west side of the bay. Not only has there been a doubling of new clubs in the past 18 months, police say, but the number of "patients'' requesting medical marijuana ID cards has nearly tripled, to 7,000.

The San Francisco boom has its roots in state voters' 1996 passage of Proposition 215, legalizing marijuana use for medical reasons.

With that, a whole new cottage industry was born, even though weed, medicinal or otherwise, is still illegal under federal law. Today there are 126 clubs and support groups throughout the state, serving an estimated 100, 000 medical marijuana users.

And with no legal source for marijuana, some clubs are charging the street rate, which is anywhere from $300 to $500 an ounce.

It's become an entrepreneur's dream.

One such dreamer is 40-year-old Jeff Hunter, a former crack addict who spent seven years in San Quentin State Prison for cocaine trafficking. He got out in 1999, and now operates the Happy Days Herbal Relief Center.

Hunter -- who is still on probation -- said the new marijuana enterprise "has turned my life around.''

"I was having a midlife crisis and was looking for other ways to make money legally,'' Hunter said.

"I make a pretty good income, I'd have to say,'' Hunter said, though he declined to specify just how much. Whatever the amount, it's probably more than he made in his last job, driving a bread truck.

On the afternoon we visited Happy Days at 607 Divisadero St., business was brisk -- with a stream of young and streetwise-looking customers showing up to buy or sample the goods.

On the wall hung a large menu, featuring "G. Purple'' for $20 a gram and hash for $35 a gram -- along with an assortment of medicine-laced goodies, including giant brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

While it might look like a party scene, Hunter insists that "100 percent'' of his clients are legitimate medical marijuana users.

We should also point out that Hunter has some friends in high places.

He's currently part of a discrimination suit against his former bread- driving boss, Sara Lee Corp., and is being represented by none other than San Francisco Police Commissioner Joe Veronese and Veronese's mom, ex-Supervisor Angela Alioto.

And while Hunter insists he's been welcomed into his new neighborhood, not all owners are getting the same reception.

Officials are already taking a close look at the new Holistic Center going into the Mission District's All-Star Hotel, mostly out of concern for those neighbors upstairs who are trying to break their addictions. The hotel is among a dozen that serve welfare tenants under Mayor Gavin Newsom's Care Not Cash program.

Meanwhile, folks out in the Ingleside have circulated a letter, addressed to Supervisors Sean Elsbernd and Gerardo Sandoval, protesting the proposed opening of the latest club in their district.

The problem for neighbors is that the Ocean Avenue clubs are all within a mile of eight schools -- including City College, two high schools and a middle school.

Police confirm the clubs are a real magnet for kids -- especially with all the bus service along Ocean Avenue.

According to Hettrich, it's not uncommon for one kid with a card to purchase an ounce or so of weed -- then turn around and sell enough of it to his friends to support his own habit.

After all, says Hettrich: "This is the city that knows how.''

Birds of a feather: Biologist Mark Rauzon argues that those $550,000 perches for double crested cormorants on the new Bay Bridge eastern span represent taxpayer money well spent.

Rauzon, who designed the "corm condos,'' tells us that without the replacement perches that we told you about last Sunday, the old Bay Bridge cormorants might choose to relocate to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, where a cormorant colony is already perched.

"And more birds would mean less time for maintenance there,'' Rauzon said.

Or the birds might opt to move to the San Mateo Bridge and cause headaches there.

But no matter what we might think, the fact is the birds are covered by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act -- which requires nesting birds get new perches.

"Of course,'' Rauzon noted of the structure at one time considered one of the seven wonders of the modern architectural world, "if the portion of the old bridge ... that holds the colony were allowed to stand, this would not be necessary."

It's a thought.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle (CA)
Copyright: 2005 Hearst Communications Inc.

The Holistic center is not going to happen from what I read this am. It is getting a little silly with so many dispensaries.. are we looking at a system that has a club at every other corner like Mickey-D's? :hmmmm:

It's off.. 45 day moratorium on SF pot clubs..

Told ya, too many cooks spoil the broth..

SAN FRANCISCO
Marijuana club won't open in Mission hotel
Supervisors to vote on 45-day ban for new clinic openings
Suzanne Herel, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

The owner of a city-funded welfare hotel in San Francisco canceled his lease Tuesday with a medical marijuana clinic that was planning to open on the ground floor this week, after Mayor Gavin Newsom cited it as Exhibit A for a moratorium on new cannabis clubs.

Craig Walker, a construction company owner who uses marijuana for back pain, had planned to open his Holistic Center on Friday at the All Star Hotel on 16th Street in the Mission District. Late Tuesday, he got the news in a meeting with the hotel owner that the agreement was off.

"I'm discouraged and disappointed," Walker said. However, he added, "I'm not mad. I am for good regulation. I agree with the mayor -- there has to be more thought put into this."

Newsom said Monday that the Holistic Center's impending opening showed that he and other city officials had failed to pay close attention to the boom in medical marijuana clubs, at least 37 of which are now operating in San Francisco. Supervisors Michela Alioto-Pier and Ross Mirkarimi introduced an emergency ordinance at Tuesday's board meeting that would institute a 45-day halt on new cannabis clubs while the city investigates ways to regulate them.

The board is expected to vote on the measure Tuesday. Passage would require approval by nine of the 11 supervisors.

The mayor said Tuesday that the city departments of Human Services and Public Health had instituted changes, effective immediately, to prevent medical marijuana clubs from opening in locations where the city pays for support services to substance abusers and the homeless -- a category that would include the All Star Hotel, which houses people under Newsom's Care Not Cash program.

"We have a responsibility to the people that we are helping climb out of homelessness," Newsom said. "And that responsibility incudes providing them with a clean, safe and healthy environment to help them get back on their feet. "

Randy Shaw, director of the Tenderloin Housing Clinic, which provides social services at the hotel under the Care Not Cash program, said he was relieved that the Holistic Center wouldn't be opening.

"It was a psychological thing," Shaw said. "It sent the wrong message to the tenants" -- some of whom are recovering drug addicts.

Neil Patel, the hotel's owner, could not be reached for comment.

Trent Rhorer, director of the Department of Human Services, said current city contracts would be amended to prohibit the presence of pot clubs, and the ban would be included in future contracts.

However, Rhorer said, there are no medical marijuana clinics located in any of the dozen hotels participating in the Care Not Cash program.

Newsom will be convening a group of city officials to examine policies involving medical marijuana clubs, which are largely unregulated.

The group will include the department heads from Public Health, Human Services and Planning, along with Treasurer Jose Cisneros and someone from the city attorney's office. Newsom has asked the task force for a report within 30 days.

Although marijuana use is against federal law, California voters legalized it for medicinal purposes by passing Proposition 215 in 1996.

E-mail Suzanne Herel at sherel@sfchronicle.com

in the start of the thread what do the birds have to do with pot clubs? i think yes, the pot club in the rehab hotel should'nt go in. even though they would probably let a pharmacy go in. people would have to have a prescription to get pot(just like a pharmacy) people who live there would have to get a perscription to get any pot so whats the problem. i guess they might have to smell it, and would be weak and go to using again. there are some people who can't control themselves, allways will be. on the school thing, i think it should be like alchohol stores. not around schools or churches, but not in the seediest low rent part of town. i think yes it is like mcdonalds, in that as long as there is demand there should be unlimited supply sites. as long as they can make enough money to stay open there should be no limit of how many there are. i wish texas would come around to this way of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom