US Drug Enforcement Administration 'Celebrates' 35 Years Of Failure

Jimbo

July 3, 2008 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: The United State's top federal anti-drug agency, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), turned 35-years-old this week, according to US Department of Justice press release.
The Drug Enforcement Administration was created 35 years ago on [July 1] by President Richard Nixon, who through an Executive Order established a single unified command to combat 'an all-out global war on the drug menace,'" the DOJ release states. "At its outset, the DEA had 1,470 Special Agents, a budget of less than $75 million, and a presence in 31 countries. Today, the DEA has 5,235 Special Agents, a budget of more than $2.4 billion and 87 foreign offices in 63 countries.
Commenting on the agency's anniversary, NORML podcast host Russ Belville noted that illicit drug use, production, potency, availability, and drug-related overdose deaths have all increased sharply over the past three decades.
Bigger budgets, more drugs. More arrests, more deaths. More seizures, more potency. More agents, more users. For their thirty-fifth anniversary, perhaps they should change their name to the Drug Encouragement Administration," he said.
NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws - NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

I think the day they were created was the first day I smoked reefer. Pretty sure that was the day. I think I'll go celebrate how ineffective they are in controlling the harmless herb, 35 years later.

Back
Top Bottom