Using Natural Organic Compost Soil

G-Dog

I have a tiny indoor soil grow that I am just starting.

I have rooted clones and I am putting them into soil today.

Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. My backyard is a canyon of many species of trees; Maples, firs, oaks and vines. The leaves from all of this have been falling into this canyon since the beginning of time. It is a very beautiful and ruggedly natural place.

The other day I took a shovel and dug under the leaves and found very rich, black soil. You cannot buy soil as rich as this. I want to use it. However, I have a fear of bugs, specifically mites.

Now I have never used natural organic compost before. I am so wanting to use this stuff, but I fear the mites. Mites live in leaves of living plants. I wonder if I were to dig deep into this soil if I can get soil or is the mite risk too high.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

I have a tiny indoor soil grow that I am just starting.

I have rooted clones and I am putting them into soil today.

Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. My backyard is a canyon of many species of trees; Maples, firs, oaks and vines. The leaves from all of this have been falling into this canyon since the beginning of time. It is a very beautiful and ruggedly natural place.

The other day I took a shovel and dug under the leaves and found very rich, black soil. You cannot buy soil as rich as this. I want to use it. However, I have a fear of bugs, specifically mites.

Now I have never used natural organic compost before. I am so wanting to use this stuff, but I fear the mites. Mites live in leaves of living plants. I wonder if I were to dig deep into this soil if I can get soil or is the mite risk too high.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Sounds like you've got some of natures goodies at your feet! Congrats!

My idea would be to collect it and store it in a container like a trash barrel or something.
I would then add some predator nematodes and let those guys get in there and devour any critters like mites and bad nematodes.
After a month or so try some out with one plant to watch the results. If it's good and no bugs are popping up I would then use it for the entire garden. You could also test it out on a regular flowering plant in a pot or maybe a veggie plant to see if they like it. :goodluck:

Thanks Orangeblood. (Do you grow Orangebud? I bought some Orangebud beans from Gypsy Nirvana and they did not sprout, but it sounded like something I would like to try).

I said, "Screw it" and just got some soil from the canyon today and will let the chips fall where they do. I am not at all dependent on this crop, it is just for fun. If I see some signs of mites in veg I will just kill them a couple of times before I let them go into flower.

I gave it a lot of thought and know that my dog or me can bring mite in, so I have a risk unless I take a shower every time before I enter the grow room (and so will the dog). So screw it. I will try to grow and see what happens. I will keep you all posted and will have some canyon and plant pics soon. And if I get mites I will be brave enough to tell you all that I did.

God I love this soil. Volcanic, Sandy Loam, river silt, with all kinds of decaying leaves. I should sell this shit.

Hang a couple yellow sticky no pest strips near the plants and you'll know in less than a day if and what type of bugs may have come in.
You can diy a pest strip with yellow paper like post its and spead vaseline over the surface of the paper to catch the bugs. Lay them at the base of the plant to catch crawlers & hang nearby to catch fliers

Edit: Negative on the Orange Bud. I've never even seen it :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom