Virginia Delegate Speaks Out About Decriminalization of Marijuana

Weedpipe

420 Member
Attitudes on marijuana may be changing in Virginia.

A local lawmaker is sponsoring two bills that could affect how the Commonwealth penalizes people who smoke pot.

Going easy on marijuana could easily be considered a dangerous move in politics - but don't tell that to Virginia delegate Harvey Morgan.

"I really don't care. I mean, I've been here a long time and if my constituents want me to retire - it's OK with me," Morgan said.

Morgan knows it might be political suicide, but as a pharmacist, the 79-year-old republican from Gloucester says it's time for Virginia to decriminalize pot.

Morgan is sponsoring two bills. One would allow broad access to medical marijuana with a prescription from a doctor. The other would make simple possession of pot a civil infraction similar to getting a traffic ticket.

"So you'll pay that fine but will not have a record as a drug offender," Morgan explained.

About 18,000 Virginians are arrested every year for simple possession of marijuana.

Morgan says it's unfair that 'non-violent' offenders are excluded from making a living in fields like education and government. Reciprocally, their arrests cost Virginia taxpayers money too.

"This places a huge burden on law enforcement, prisons, and the judicial system," said Harvey Morgan.

Employees spend at least eight hours on every marijuana case filed in their cabinets.

"I think we're floating slowly, sinking," said Gigi Smith, Virginia Beach Circuit Court Clerks Office.

That includes setting up the file, assessing court costs, communicating with attorneys, organizing evidence, and then contacting the city and state if a suspect is found guilty.

"If it's just a fine, we wouldn't have to notify the jail, we wouldn't have to notify state police, it may or may not have to go to the DMV," Smith said.

"So there are a few things we wouldn't have to do."

Aside from potentially reducing that burden on court offices, the bills are projected to save the Commonwealth at least $75 million a year in policing and prosecuting costs.

"There is a zero percent chance there will be decriminalization of marijuana," said Manoli Loupassi, Richmond delegate.

Richmond delegate Loupassi is saying no to drugs. A year after he sponsored a bill to toughen marijuana laws, he too remembers facing opposition - but not from politicians.

"One guy came in and he's like 'man, do you know what you're doing dude? Do you really understand what you're doing?' I was like OK, I'm never going to put another one in. It got killed, I'm done," Loupassi said.

Loupassi is confident that Delegate Morgan's bill will get killed by Virginia's Conservative House of Courts of Justice Committee.

"At some point, you'd have to run for reelection and whoever decides to run against you, they would stomp you over the head with it, you would lose your job!"

Loupassi says it's personal politics that will ultimately doom the bills, not whether there are any merits to decriminalization of pot or giving it to people with painfull illnesses. Loupassi still acknowledges the drug's broad appeal, offering an even more unfiltered opinion.

"An awful lot of us have smoked marijuana, a lot of people have smoked marijuana in their lifetime, OK," Loupassi said.

"So while the argument can be made that half the people in the legislature smoke marijuana, it might even be higher than 90 percent or a 100 percent, who knows? That's not the point. The point is that it is not universally accepted that decriminalizing marijuana possesion is what's in the best interest of society," he added.

Though the two bills could potentially jeopardize a politician's future, Morgan doesn't seem to think so. Taking a chance with legislation that is already drawn more attention than anything else he has sponsored in his 30 years as delegate, Morgan thinks it's a good sign.

"Marijuana has positively affected hundreds of patients," said Morgan.

"I think what I'm doing is the right thing and I think that's why they sent me here. Sorry I got a little choked up but this issue is very important!"

The controversial bills go before the Courts of Justice Committee this Wednesday.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: WTKR-TV
Contact: NewsChannel 3 Hampton Roads' emerging news leader - WTKR
Copyright: 2010, WTKR-TV
Website:Virginia delegate speaks out about decriminalization of marijuana - WTKR

Back
Top Bottom