Visalia City Council OKs Move to Keep Medical Marijuana Ban

Jacob Bell

Bryan Ruiz stood Monday night in front of Visalia City Council members and fought for what he believed in ìì medical marijuana. But with concerns aired, members began the process to continue the city's regulations on dispensaries and personal use.

In a 5-0 vote, council members approved the first reading of an ordinance that will prohibit the sale of medical marijuana within the city limits. The ordinance will also create a regulation to restrict the personal growing of medical marijuana to a 100-square-foot space. Some Visalians asked that the space requirement include a stipulation that the marijuana must be grown in a confined space, rather than the open air of a backyard.

Councilman Warren Gubler says he believes the Compassionate Care Act of 1996 is one of the most abused laws on California's books. He believes dispensaries in Visalia would decrease the safety of Visalians.

Those who fought for the ban to be lifted and against the restrictions say it's time to give ill people a fighting chance at comfort.

"I see the good it does. I would still have my grandmother if she'd been on medical marijuana and not pharmaceuticals," Ruiz said. "I believe in what I am fighting for. I will put my life on the line for it."

Ruiz began selling medical marijuana outside the city limits to prevent the city from restricting his sales.

Vice Mayor Amy Shuklian, who voted for the California-approved Compassionate Care Act, said she sees the benefits of medical marijuana in those ill individuals she knows. But she also sees the bad in those who don't need it.

"I see the good. But I also know people who don't have any business using medical marijuana that do," she said.

The approval Monday by council members will allow city staff to create an official ordinance before the city's current restrictions expire in October.

Once an official ordinance to replace Visalia's current restrictions is proposed, council members will once again have to approve it.

news21.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: visaliatimesdelta.com
Author: Eric Woomer
Copyright: visaliatimesdelta.com
Website: Visalia City Council OKs move to keep medical marijuana ban

Back
Top Bottom