What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

Im in Colombia South America and Im very excited about my decision to harvest. I am buying things on ebay and so far i have the lights 400Wmh/hps and getting ready to buy the ballast that goes both ways! LOL Anyway... I am looking to buy all the nutrients that I will need for the next year and really need some advise as to which ones i need and what brands to buy. I bought Superthrive Plant Vitamins Hormones, CLONEX CLONE ROOTING GEL SOLUTION , and dont want to go nuts buying I wont need or getting them and killing the plants, what others should i get for the whole process...?

The seeds I bought were from attitude seed bank(feminized and advanced seeds) and got a couple of strains. I have set up a small closet 2ft x 2ft x 5.5ft. I would really appreciate any feedback and advise! This is one goal im very serious about!

Thank you in advance !!!

First time growers frequently:

Overwater their medium based plants. When you pot your plant, judge its weight dry by hefting. Then, water the plant thoroughly, until water runs through the drain holes. Heft it again. When your pot feels as nearly as light as it did dry, its time to water again.

Overfeed their plants. As MrSoul says, beginners rarely under do anything. When all else fails, follow the directions on the fertilizer bottle. [Editor's note: dont follow GH's instructions! Use @ 1/4 their recommended strength, or follow recipes in the FAQ]

Overanalyze their grow. A first grow is like a first born child: you pay attention to every little thing that happens. Further, you worry at the first sign something may be wrong. Pay attention to what happens in your grow, but do not try and find a remedy for every yellow leaf. Frequently, the remedy of flushing your medium causes more problems than it solves. Be responsive when things go wrong, but be conservative in your remedies.

Overspend on grow supplies. New growers frequently commit themselves to unrealistic and expensive first grows. It is much more efficient to learn to grow and then invest in high end equipment rather than the other way around. Most experienced growers don't have room for all of the grow paraphernalia they aren't using. As you will see throughout this FAQ: K-I-S-S.

Overpost. Try the search engine first. Chances are good that any question you can think of has been asked and answered before.

Talk about their grow. Don't tell anybody that does not have to know. How can you expect anybody else to keep a secret that you cannot.

1. Don't Overwater
Overwatering kills marijuana plants. Water once the top few inches of the soil dries out.

Hydroponics is harder to over-water than soil, due to the abundance of water roots.

2. Don't Tell People
Why? They will only be jealous. People love to feel important and that is why they will tell other people; because others will listen to them.
Keep it to yourself.

3. Touch/kill Germinating Seeds
It can take up to 10 days for a seed to sprout. The paper towel method is not recommended because you must handle the seeds when transferring them from the paper towel to your growing medium.

4. Grow seeds from seeded marijuana (hermaphrodite seeds)
Unless you are prepared for possible disappointments don't use "unknown" seeds. This is why people buy seeds from seedbanks.

Self-seeding MJ is produced from hermaphrodite plants or a very stunted and late flowering male the grower did not notice. Flowered hermi seeds will produce tall late flowering females coupled with early flowering males.

5. Don't Over-fertilize
Fertilize after first 2 spiked leaves appear.

Start with 25% of recommended label strengths and work your way up. If the leaves suddenly twist or fold under, Leach and Spray with pure water for several days!

Don't fertilize your plants every time you water! (Soil)
A common watering schedule is to fertilize at full strength, then water at half or quarter strength. This prevents excess salt buildup, leaf and root burn. In addition, don't water at full strength if the medium is too dry — root burn can occur.

As a precaution, leach the plants with lots of pure water every 2-4 weeks.

6. Don't Under-fertilize
Under-fertilizing is less common. If you prefer to give the plant 'just enough nutrients', use a organic soil mixture with blood meal and bone meal or some slow release fertilizer with micro nutrients.

7. Don't Start with Clones
Start with seeds. Bugs are a pain, as are plant diseases. Many growers are able to grow indoors without pest problems for years. Another grower's cuttings are almost guaranteed to have diseases &/or pests.

8. Don't Provide A Bad Environment
Always provide air circulation and fresh air even during the night cycle. All the air indoors should be replaced every 5-10 minutes.
Humidity between 30-70% temp aim for around 75-85' Even seedlings need a gentle fan to strengthen the stems.

9. Don't Harvest Too Early
25% of the weight will form in the last 2 weeks. Begin flushing with 100% pH'd water when the pistil are 25% brown. Harvest when the plants have totally stopped growing and the white pistils are at least 50-75% brown.

*NOTE: Outdoors if security is a factor make your own call on when to sacrifice the fields. Also take buds continuously in case of thieves.

Common questions:
Q. Can marijuana grow in a northern climate?
Marijuana plants can grow anywhere corn can grow. All it needs is three growing months - seed to harvest. 2 if started indoors!

Q. Why do I have to buy seeds? Why can't I use my own that I picked from my own stash?
Most people desire, and want to be guaranteed, certain characteristics in their mature female plants. The seeds from any weed will all grow into something different. This is unprofitable and inefficient. As opposed to knowing the single set of requirements for your entire crop, you must provide a different set of requirements for each of your plants.

Q. What is better for a new grower - hydroponics or soil?
I believe the all around "better", more convenient setup is soil. Hydro makes plants grow faster, but won't make your buds more potent than soil. Hydro should be attempted after you have a few successful soil crops under your belt.

If you are starting from seed and growing for personal, soil is the practical growing medium. If the crop is started with clones and is commercial, a hydroponics setup is more practical.

Q. Why are my seedlings stretching?
Low light conditions. They also need a gentle wind. Plants will also stretch when subjected to conditions of high humidity.

Q. What kind of lights should I use?
Cheap 4 ft. cool white fluorescent tubes : for germination/seedlings

400 watt Metal halide/HPS : for personal home growers
1000 watt Metal halide/HPS : for some personal growers and commercial growers.
*Use at least 40 watts per sq. foot of grow space.

Q. How far should the lights be from the plants?

Fluorescent: tips of leaves almost touching bulbs
400 watt halide : two feet away from seedlings and one foot away from grown plants
1000 watt halide: four feet away from seedlings and two feet away from grown plants

Q. How often should you water?
Once a week or once every two week for soil and twice a day with a hydroponic flood and drain system.
*When top 2 inches of the soil dry out.* Occasionally provide periods of extra dry and wet soil.
*Allow 10% extra water to drain out of the bottom of the tray.* This will prevent toxic fertilizer build up.

Q. How long do your seeds last? What's the best way to keep them?
Seeds can last over 5 years if kept cool and dry. They may last up to 10 years if sealed and frozen, but fewer will germinate.

Authors: Bush_Grower and Bongaloid

Hey Diego,sounds like you have everything set up....but i would think that your floor space is pretty small(2.5x2.5ft?).it would seem that it would be hard to get the light to shine down on the sides of the plant.other than that keep your circle small as far as telling friends about your "plan".people love to TALK.....take care and good luck,Red

If your going hydro... Pure Blend Pro Grow and Pro Bloom are my choice and provide excellent results. I also use an additive of 5ml/gal of Fox Farm Big Bloom in my flower res. Also I grow in hydroton which is fired clay pebbles. Its ph neutral, inert, and

If your going Soil... Just DON'T use Miracle Grow Soil!!! My back yard soil contains less diseases and pests than MG does. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is a good organic mix but any soil other than MG will do just fine.

Hope it helps.

Hey Diego,sounds like you have everything set up....but i would think that your floor space is pretty small(2.5x2.5ft?).it would seem that it would be hard to get the light to shine down on the sides of the plant.other than that keep your circle small as far as telling friends about your "plan".people love to TALK.....take care and good luck,Red

I also have a CFL75w, and an aquarium tube light which I can place on each side of the closet and maybe rotate the plants every 24hrs. Think that would work? Thank you for your help! what brands of trace elements do you think I should I use for the growing progress? and should I use liquid or the powder type?

I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy lives to answer my ignorant questions!! i truly do appreciate it!!

God bless America and Colombia !! thanks again!

Now Diego i'm never that busy to offer help,well being retired helps some....that closet space would seem tight too me.it has to be vented well as the 400 watt. light is HOT!! and cost $.now the 300 watt "pigtail" lights you get from home depot don't use much power and are only 15? bucks and seem to work well for the vegetative part of your grow(lights on 24 hours) and don't throw of much heat. as far as liquid vs. powder,i use liquid,its easier to measure and be sure to use 1/2 the directed dose.its really easy to over dose on ferts..plan ahead ,don't start a fire in your closet and be carefull. does any one concur? Happy Trails,Red and yes, God help us all

Are you growing in soil or hydro??

If you have a 2x2 section... you can use a 6 plant tote system like the ones I've built that you can see in my grows. Hydro is better!!!

All you need... (most of this can be found in 1 or 2 places... walmart or other super store might just have it all and a pet store)

• one 10 gallon or more tote with lid
  • razor knife or hole saw for the holes in the lid (size depends on net pots)
  • 5.5" or smaller round net pots
  • hydroton or other inert growing medium
  • 1 air pump suitable for a 20-40 gallon tank
  • air line tubing
  • one or two 5" round air stone(s)
  • starter plugs
  • ph test and adjust kit or just ph test if you want to use lemon juice for ph down and baking soda for ph up
  • timer
  • grow light(s)
  • water
  • time
  • lots of patience... lol

If you have any questions throughout your grow, feel free to ask any of us on here for advice. Post your grow in a journal also if you can. It helps to keep track of everything you've done. Came in handy when I forgot how long my ladies had been in flower.

:ganjamon:

\
Hello my friend!
I'm only looking to start with 3-5 plants for personal use. Do you think the closet will be enough space?
I took some pics, but cant figure out how to get em on here.

Are you growing in soil or hydro??

If you have a 2x2 section... you can use a 6 plant tote system like the ones I've built that you can see in my grows. Hydro is better!!!

All you need... (most of this can be found in 1 or 2 places... walmart or other super store might just have it all and a pet store)

• one 10 gallon or more tote with lid
  • razor knife or hole saw for the holes in the lid (size depends on net pots)
  • 5.5" or smaller round net pots
  • hydroton or other inert growing medium
  • 1 air pump suitable for a 20-40 gallon tank
  • air line tubing
  • starter plugs
  • ph test and adjust kit or just ph test if you want to use lemon juice for ph down and baking soda for ph up
  • timer
  • grow light(s)
  • water
  • time
  • lots of patience... lol

If you have any questions throughout your grow, feel free to ask any of us on here for advice. Post your grow in a journal also if you can. It helps to keep track of everything you've done. Came in handy when I forgot how long my ladies had been in flower.

:ganjamon:

Thanks for the great advise!! I have read that Hydro systems needs constant supervision and there are many times where I need to be out 2-3 days at a time and if soil is more forgiving, that will be more convenient. Is that a true statement or as long as I have the light timers! Being in Colombia, South America; it is very difficult to find certain things, which I usually have to buy online and get shipped to my sister (in the US) to send to me. Thanks again!

Thanks for the great advise!! I have read that Hydro systems needs constant supervision and there are many times where I need to be out 2-3 days at a time and if soil is more forgiving, that will be more convenient. Is that a true statement or as long as I have the light timers! Being in Colombia, South America; it is very difficult to find certain things, which I usually have to buy online and get shipped to my sister (in the US) to send to me. Thanks again!

Soil is actually harder to leave unattended than hydro. My hydro system is self sustaining and can last a week without having to touch anything. Just always remember to start with 1/4 concentration of nutes and never with the full amount right away. Gradually work your way up to make sure the plants can handle it. I use the Pro Grow and use 15ml/4gal of water in the veg system for the first change with nutes. First 2 or three weeks... no nutes!!! Then work your way up. The system does the rest. If you check it every 3 or 4 days, you will be fine.

Some people say soil is easier but I disagree. I have better results with hydro and all of my new grows will be hydro. In my opinion, soil should stay outside.

So is there even a chance that a seed from a smoke-bag, will be completely female or is it just a said fact that bagseed will be hermaphroditic?

Not a said fact. Most seeds from a bag of fertilized buds (schwagg) will be female (80/20) but if you find a seed in some headies, chances are its a hermi and the seed will most likely give you a hermi plant though not all the time.

Feminized seeds that are bred to be female by introducing a hormone that will make the plant a hermi while its in flower can be 100% female with no hermaphroditic branches what so ever. But the chances of getting a hermi are greatly increased if done by stress methods (ie light cycle changes, excessive wind, nutrient lock, etc.)

I think it's more like 50-50 percent chance it's either female or male.

I just finished my 1st grow (this year) and I always thought that city water was normally ph neutral or good to go for us growers, so I never bothered to test it, I could not have been more wrong. I didn't figure it out until midway through flowering. New ones like me should not take ph lightly. ps I love all the info from everybody here. Thanks alot!

Good tips, great read, I do however follow after 30+ years the same sprout method of seeds between Paper towels. Seeds are duarable and can handle being touched, even the cotyledons.

I have tried all a lot of different germinating procedures paper tower ,soakin in a glass,and the best luck I have ever had is straight out jiffy puck or any other type of peat puck soaked in a mix of florablend vegan tea at 1ml/l and I usually get 80%+ germination and the last time with regular seeds managed 100% germ and 100% females, I had read that providing a nice cool starting enviroment and high nitrogen for the first 3 weeks promotes a higher female/male ratio according to Ed's marijuana growers handbook.

What is your reasoning for the boycott? I personally can't really afford to shop anywhere else, unless you have a strong argument that would make me feel otherwise...Not trying to be an asshole, I'm just curious:reading420magazine::reading420magazine::reading420magazine:

What is your reasoning for the boycott? I personally can't really afford to shop anywhere else, unless you have a strong argument that would make me feel otherwise...Not trying to be an asshole, I'm just curious:reading420magazine::reading420magazine::reading420magazine:

If your talking about a boycott of walmart its due to the fact that they had a long time employee and former employee of the year who developed a very serious condition cant remember the exact details anyways he had an accident at work and due to the law for workers comp he had to give a blood test and because of his use of medical marijuana which he is a legal card holder in his state walmart went with federal law and dismissed the man, although they have no complaints of use at work , his performance has never slipped while using mmj and in short he was a responsible patient using mmj to take care of himself in a responsible way and he was fired.

Back
Top Bottom